Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Handbrake adjustment cog...should i need a hammer to move it even slightly?

DinkyDonka

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH International
Hi all!! :)

I went through 14 pages of searching for "handbrake" and wasn't able to find an answer to this specific question so thought i'd start a new thread.

The handbrake on my WH is loose as a goose. If i reef is all the way up the car will still slowly roll in either direction and even after adjusting it at the handbrake to the point it only makes it to 5 clicks it still does nothing (to be expected). So i took the wheels off and tried adjusting the brake shoes through the hole with the grommet but could not make the cog budge without smacking the screwdriver with a hammer.

Even when taking the hub off completely i had to apply a bit of force with the hammer to get it to move a few clicks, so my question is, are the cogs meant to be easily adjusted using nothing but a flathead screwdriver or are they usually this tight? Because i couldn't adjust the handbrake with the hub off otherwise i couldn't get the hub back on. If i try to do it through the grommet hole i have to continually search (and hope) i have made contact with the cog and smack away with the hammer :(

Thanks for your help :)

EDIT: Should note that the shoes are perfectly fine/meaty as well.

Last edited:

DinkyDonka

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH International
Phew, i was hoping it shouldn't be that tight!

As much of a pain in the arse it is to fish for the cog through that tiny hole, it'd be MUCH easier if i could just lever it up/down to adjust it. Rather than having to find it, grab the hammer, hope the flathead doesn't move and bang it each time. I tried it that way and after 45mins i spat the dummy and just said "stuff it"

Just to be clear though, should i be able to adjust it with nothing more than the flathead? Just smack it with the palm of my hand or something like that? Just to get an idea of how "free" it should be moving.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
That adjuster (cog as you put it) isn't turning because the threads are full of crap and need cleaning and lubricating

Remove the complete adjuster mechanism from the vehicle. (The tube/cylinder looking part that connects to the hand brake shoe with the cog on it )
Dismantle it and clean the threads up
Lube the thread of the adjuster with never seize and reassemble the adjuster. It should turn easily by hand now.
Refit to vehicle and adjust handbrake through hole in brake backing plate. (hole the grommet came out of)

# After this it will adjust freely with just the use of a screwdriver.....No hitting with your hand or hammer required
# Do one side at a time so you don't get the left and right side adjusters mixed up

DinkyDonka

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH International
That adjuster (cog as you put it) isn't turning because the threads are full of crap and need cleaning and lubricating

Remove the complete adjuster mechanism from the vehicle. (The tube/cylinder looking part that connects to the hand brake shoe with the cog on it )
Dismantle it and clean the threads up
Lube the thread of the adjuster with never seize and reassemble the adjuster. It should turn easily by hand now.
Refit to vehicle and adjust handbrake through hole in brake backing plate. (hole the grommet came out of)

# After this it will adjust freely with just the use of a screwdriver.....No hitting with your hand or hammer required
# Do one side at a time so you don't get the left and right side adjusters mixed up

Thanks mate that's exactly what i needed to hear :)

I can rebuild a 13b and replace my own headgaskets but managed to get stumped with a simple adjuster, haha

Thanks again!