Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH statesman 3.8 takes long time to warm up

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
Hey everyone,
I have a 2002 V6 statesman that for a quite a while now has been taking a long time to warm up from a cold start. About 18 months ago, my partner and I replaced the old thermostat in it because it shat itself and the car had a minor overheating event. I went to supercheap the next day and had to get a high flow thermostat as that was all they had in stock for weeks and it was urgent. Anyway, now that we are coming into winter, I have noticed it is taking longer and longer to warm up. It has no issues staying at operating temp when it gets there but it takes an excessively long time to warm up. I'm concerned because I know that running an engine colder then it is supposed to be is detrimental. Side note: even though it takes a while to heat up, it also stays at dead cold for about 3-4km which I know is bad. Would anyone on here be able to give me some pointers as to what could be happening and what I should keep an eye on? Thanks

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Buy a standard thermostat for it put it in all you can do

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
A high-flow thermostat works the same as a normal thermostat in most circumstances, except that at normal operating temperature it allows more/faster coolant flow (which believe it or not can cause your engine to overheat if not designed for it).

These cars have a large coolant capacity and can take some time to warm up depending on the type of driving you do.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
put the stock thermostat back in and fix the overheating. you are just making things worse.

YEA.355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 355, VP BERLINA, KENWORTH 408
Thermostat might be stuck open