Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman 3.8Ltr 6 cyl with a Dangerous issue

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Any how Just fitted a new radio to my sons statesman and we had to drive (Sunday) to pick up the Radio up and the car is still 100% perfect!! yeah!!!!

Mate, I reckon I can break it for you. Yes, even from here!
I'll just say: "Looks like you fixed it!"...

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Mate, I reckon I can break it for you. Yes, even from here!
I'll just say: "Looks like you fixed it!"...
Late Yesterday (Tuesday 3rd Nov) It's still going good + on the Weekend I put the Genuine Engine cover back on the Engine as time goes on and if everything is good I will reconnect the cable for the Cruise Control because originally I though the cable on the Cruise control was causing the issue + I will take the blanking plate off to block off the EGR Valve as I also thought that the EGR was causing high erratic idle rpm.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Late Yesterday (Tuesday 3rd Nov) It's still going good + on the Weekend I put the Genuine Engine cover back on the Engine as time goes on and if everything is good I will reconnect the cable for the Cruise Control because originally I though the cable on the Cruise control was causing the issue + I will take the blanking plate off to block off the EGR Valve as I also thought that the EGR was causing high erratic idle rpm.

Confidence! I, too am a computer guy - but hardware. One thing you cant do often is say to a customer "Its fixed. it wont break again"...
I suppose I am being a bit of a joner because I am in a similar place with my VX. 18 years without letting me down, then it does... Kinda shakes your faith ay!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Confidence! I, too am a computer guy - but hardware. One thing you cant do often is say to a customer "Its fixed. it wont break again"...
I suppose I am being a bit of a joner because I am in a similar place with my VX. 18 years without letting me down, then it does... Kinda shakes your faith ay!
Nah, think of it this way, everything will wear out eventually. So when you replace some old parts with new ones, your car will be better than its been for ages
I don't get those people who say, oh I had to spend some money on my car, now I'm going to sell it because I just know it's going to break down again....

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah, think of it this way, everything will wear out eventually. So when you replace some old parts with new ones, your car will be better than its been for ages
Not unless you get new TPS from ebay and its the other way around because as for the V6 statesman it still working ok with very old genuine TPS. The car is close to 3 weeks working ok, when I gets to 1 months and the Statesman is still ok then I say its fixed and I will put a new post warning others not to buy some ebay stuff because you might pull your hair out. I bought two of these thing, you cant have that much bad luck to have two TPS from different suppliers being stuffed.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Amen to that!
Indicator stalk: Old one was intermittent and the indicators would buzz if I moved the stalk slowly. New one off ebay fell apart (and I had to modify the connector to make it fit). I took the risk and bought another from a different supplier. Fluked that! Its worked ok for over a year so far. The switch is different than the original (series one type). It feels much better - more like the series two type.
Crank angle sensor. Replaced original mid-this year. The new (ebay) one (Delphi brand) lasted a few months then went funny. It would die and shut the engine down if I revved it to around 5000RPM (in gear). It wouldn't restart until I dowsed it with water. It was a public holiday, so I couldn't get to Holden so I went to Repco. Bought one there. You guessed it: Delphi. So I waiting to get a real one. Fitted that. No more problems (yet). Radiator hoses: Had the heater tap fail at 200,000 k's. Realised then that I had never replaced any water hoses... Bought a set off Supa Cheap. Fitted them all (and a new heater tap - from Holden). Next week one of the hoses failed. Sprayed coolant all over the engine bay and windscreen! I just didn't trust the Supa Cheap ones. So I bough a set off Holden. Cheaper by a mile than the same set from Supa Cheap! And you can tell the difference. Much softer rubber, all part numbers on the hoses. That was 130,000k's ago. No more problems.
Alternator: Yes, I bought a new ebay one. Now a year later its whining.
By all means go to ebay. But check the price from a good Holden dealer first (the prices DO vary from dealer to dealer! My wife's Cruze blew the water manifold - very common on these!. Guy at Repco said he doesn't stock them. Go gto Holden. I rand one dealer (in Canberra) quoted $145.
Rang another dealer (Canberra) closer to home, where I usually get my Commodore parts. $95. Still VERY expensive for a piece of plastic but still cheaper then another dealer.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes you must do your homework on these matters plus luck can come into play. My VR Comm has a issue like you stated above "Indicator stalk: Old one was intermittent and the indicators would buzz if I moved the stalk slowly" My VR has been doing this for 20 years, sometime I In courage it to do it because I like the Buzzing sounds, it like its getting electrocuted but all still works (touch wood) till today.
Cant Believe how much Holden Stealers Charge for parts today and they vary from Stealership to Stealership. No doubt when Holden stopped producing car in Oz the Stealership have put prices up on part.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Statesman is still going strong, yeah!!. Its been 3 weeks now that the car been good.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it over 1 months since I replaced the TPS switch on the Statesman 3.8ltr with a old Genuine sensor and the car is still going strong so what can i say. "ITS BUSTED" yeah!!!!
If anyone is reading this dont buy a TPS not Genuine sensor from EBAY because they are SHI.T. Buy a Genuine new one or get second hand Genuine one ONLY!!!