Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH statesman ecotec tapping cold start

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
Hey everyone,

i have a 2002 WH statesman V6 which lately has been having a loud tapping noise on cold startup. i have recorded how long it lasts for and the noise last for about 7-10 seconds if i leave the car sitting for a few days without starting it. i have used Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 oil in the car for the past 2 years i have owned it and never had an issue with oil pressure or anything. i was just wondering if the oil im using could be related to whats going on or if i could run a thicker viscosity oil since i have heard that running a thicker oil can make the lifters a bit quieter. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what is causing it and if i can do anything to help it before something bad happens.

Quick side note. the noise seems to be worse on the drivers side bank closer to the front of the car.

any help would be of great help.

Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like lifter bleed. Mine bleed down and take a good 2 mins to quieten down. 10 seconds is nothing to worry about. You could try 15w 40 and see if it helps.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Hey everyone,

i have a 2002 WH statesman V6 which lately has been having a loud tapping noise on cold startup. i have recorded how long it lasts for and the noise last for about 7-10 seconds if i leave the car sitting for a few days without starting it. i have used Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 oil in the car for the past 2 years i have owned it and never had an issue with oil pressure or anything. i was just wondering if the oil im using could be related to whats going on or if i could run a thicker viscosity oil since i have heard that running a thicker oil can make the lifters a bit quieter. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what is causing it and if i can do anything to help it before something bad happens.

Quick side note. the noise seems to be worse on the drivers side bank closer to the front of the car.

any help would be of great help.

Thanks
Come to think of it!! (the Old man Talking here)
Remember many months ago where you said that you had a Ticking coming from the front of your car and you said to me that the Noise only can be heard in Caboolture Lower car park not on the outside or on any wall but not heard walking around it out the street. Now I have a feeling this ticking noise (yes lifters) can only be heard in your VERY,VERY, Small Garage that will amplify any noise. Now I bet this noise only happens or become noticeably only since you have parked for the very first time in the garage and not really noticeable once the car is parked out side. Yes this test I will do when I see the car on Friday. Yes start the car in the super small garage, TICK, TICK,TICK, Immediately drive the car out the street and 95% ticking is gone. Will see if this is the issue.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like lifter bleed. Mine bleed down and take a good 2 mins to quieten down. 10 seconds is nothing to worry about. You could try 15w 40 and see if it helps.
Yes told him this but I forgot, do you use 10w-50 or 15w-40. He has been using Magnetic 10w-40. Come to think of it the 15W is for cold starting (forgot)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I use 15w 40. Recommend oil in Buick is 20w. OP has Eco so not sure what is recommended in that engine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How long since your last oil change?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
I use 15w 40. Recommend oil in Buick is 20w. OP has Eco so not sure what is recommended in that engine.
Ok. I just checked my holden logbook and its says that for optimum fuel economy, 10w-30 ILSAC GF2 is the preferred oil viscosity to use in an ecotec. However, if it isnt available, the book says to use SG, SH or SJ with viscosity of 20w-50 or 15w-40. but it all depends on the climate you live in and how worn the engine is as well. Im just going by what the holden book says.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Try some Nulon Lifter Free. And if that doesn't work, try some Penrite high zinc oil.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok. I just checked my holden logbook and its says that for optimum fuel economy, 10w-30 ILSAC GF2 is the preferred oil viscosity to use in an ecotec. However, if it isnt available, the book says to use SG, SH or SJ with viscosity of 20w-50 or 15w-40. but it all depends on the climate you live in and how worn the engine is as well. Im just going by what the holden book says.
Yes this engine has been replaces by the yard where he bough the car from + I replaced the LIM Gaskets. For me the Engine is Good, Compression is around 170 or 168 on all cylinders thats not bad for a unknown engine. Again I will test the car but this time in his TINY small garage, car siting still for few days and when I start the car I think its amplifying the noise lifters then drive the car out the open and listen. Let you folk know after Friday what the outcome is.

Reactions: Lex