Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH statesman engine oil capacity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
hey everyone,

i have a 2002 WH V6 statesman and did an oil change on it today with my father and noticed something strange when we were putting the oil in it. I checked the oil capacity in the Holden logbook and it said 4.8L including filter. Anyway, we put close to 5L of Magnatec in it and checked the dipstick and it said it was about 2mm above the add mark on the dipstick. the engine in this car is not the original but is still an Ecotec motor. we have a clue what could be the issue but we dont want to lead anyone to say what we are thinking.

If anyone here knows what may be the reason, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
I just did a check on google and i saw that a person that has an ecotec had used 5.3L of oil for their motor. I also found another post on here where someone had a VS commodore with an ecotec and they said their oil capacity was 4.3L. Did the VS have a smaller sump then the VT, VX and VY?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Don't really understand what you're panicking about, just fill it until you're satisfied and see if there's anything wrong afterwards, turn on, repeat. Just give it 5 minutes to make its way to the sump after you add it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
wrong dipstick means wrong level of oil for that particular engine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Some oil will go into the filter. I usually put in just under 5 liters and the oil level is a bit over the full mark on the dipstick. Never had an issue. Run the engine for a bit, shut down and check the oil level.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Are you checking the reading with the car on level ground?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Here you go: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/dip-stick-mystery.261556/

There appears to be 3 sticks. Google your engine number prefix and it should tell you which car the engine is from.
Trouble with the car is it has another engine in it from the car yard where the car was purchased from + the Engine number given was wrong and its just about impossible without a hoist to see the Engine number on the car itself. To put too much oil on any given engine is a NO GO and the same if you put less oil in a given engine is also a NO go so if you use the wrong Dip stick you will have the both above. This yard where this car came from (Facebook) is a shonky dealer and nothing will surprise me what they do. They even sold this car to my son as my son did not tell me he was buying the car they sold the car with a RWC and the car had Air Bag light on, Doors that wont open from inside the car, seat Belts that dont work or frayed, driver seat that moves when it locked, headlight that that are so fogged that 80% of the lighly does not make it on the road. These people could have swapped the Sump or the tube where the dip stick is in. Anyhow we have taken note of the sump, put 5.2 ltr in it and it come clost to the dip stick so we will leave it like that. These Engines use 4.8 ltr or 5.3 ltr so 5.2 will be good enough.`

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So there are 3 different dip sticks and different oil capacities with a change in models but did Holden change the sump or just the dipstick and add more oil in the same sump?