Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH statesman headlights part 2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
Hey everyone,

I put up a post a while back asking for some advice on good headlights to get for a WH statesman. I got a pair of brand new TYC headlights and they arrived yesterday. Anyway, I was just wondering because I have never removed and replaced headlights on any car before if there is any particular things I need to watch out for when removing my headlights and installing the new headlights. I have heard from my father that like the VE Commodore you need to remove the front bumper to remove and install headlights. Would anyone on here be able to help me out and tell me if I need to remove the whole front bumper or if I don't have to. And if there are any particular tools I need to do the job. If there are, I'll get them to do the job the right way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Yes, the bumper must be removed, once that is done it's just a matter unplugging the wiring connector and unbolting the headlight.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yes, the bumper must be removed, once that is done it's just a matter unplugging the wiring connector and unbolting the headlight.
Do you need special Tools like Trim removal tool to remove those plastic push in plugs if they have them, Do you need 3/8 drive to remove the two Bolts If the WH has them (VE and VF has 2 of them on each side) or any other tricks to watch for. (ps never removed a Bar on a VT or VX Commodore, Statesman)
Any tricks to remove the bar, the things you do and things you dont do.
Thanks

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey everyone,

I put up a post a while back asking for some advice on good headlights to get for a WH statesman. I got a pair of brand new TYC headlights and they arrived yesterday. Anyway, I was just wondering because I have never removed and replaced headlights on any car before if there is any particular things I need to watch out for when removing my headlights and installing the new headlights. I have heard from my father that like the VE Commodore you need to remove the front bumper to remove and install headlights. Would anyone on here be able to help me out and tell me if I need to remove the whole front bumper or if I don't have to. And if there are any particular tools I need to do the job. If there are, I'll get them to do the job the right way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
found this
Looks like you dont need a Floor Jack. Can't find a Video on it, well good video I have found a useless one that the dude hit a tree.
Look at the link below for more info
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-commodore-front-bumper-removal.183772/

Now go to the above link and 9 post down open Member "BLACKVXGTS" attachment and find the the Image it from a VT VX but you have to remember you have a Statesman where the Grille is a part of the Bonnet so the top 3 BOLTS you possible wont have but could be lower. (FCUK the Covid-19 and China as I can not show you how to do it) Actually the Image is a little bit confusing as it has to much information

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Very straight forward 2 people be better than one to stop the front bumper from hitting the ground, I placed down a old blanket to protect the paint changing me mates vt, if it has mud guards remove, remove the screws on the wheel arch, remove all the plastic clips top and bottom and screws that are holding anything like grill, then just remove the bumper by the wheel arch pulling it out and moving it forwards.

The only thing you need to do once replacing the lights is lining the new one up, saves me explaining,

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
Very straight forward 2 people be better than one to stop the front bumper from hitting the ground, I placed down a old blanket to protect the paint changing me mates vt, if it has mud guards remove, remove the screws on the wheel arch, remove all the plastic clips top and bottom and screws that are holding anything like grill, then just remove the bumper by the wheel arch pulling it out and moving it forwards.

The only thing you need to do once replacing the lights is lining the new one up, saves me explaining,
OK. Thanks again Trevor. I'll give it a try with the partner later and take my time doing it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You just need to drive to the solid wall around half a meter from the wall, put a bit of black electrical tape on the dot on the light so it shows up on the wall, use tape on the wall like the video (cross in the centre of the dot) , then take note of the brightest part of the light when you back up 7.5 meters as you may need to adjust the in and out to line up to the cross then raise or lower just below the line around 40mm to avoid blinding drivers. Good luck.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You just need to drive to the solid wall around half a meter from the wall, put a bit of black electrical tape on the dot on the light so it shows up on the wall, use tape on the wall like the video (cross in the centre of the dot) , then take note of the brightest part of the light when you back up 7.5 meters as you may need to adjust the in and out to line up to the cross then raise or lower just below the line around 40mm to avoid blinding drivers. Good luck.
I have been using this method for 30 years and never had a issue, did the same to check the Cheap VE Project I had when I changed the Head Lights from the other Red Dona car Omega to the Blue VE Anniversity.

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
I attempted to change the headlights on my car today too, replaced some aftermarket angel eye ones to original factory style ones.

I tried taking shortcuts but like everybody says, the front bumper has to come off. Lesson learnt. Just FYI, mine did have scrivets underneath the licence plate, and they were a pain to get off. Some people mention that their cars never came with these but it just happens to be that mine did.

When removing the bumper, it's easiest to work from each side first. Pull the bumper towards the back of the car and outwards, this should set it free.

When reattaching the bumper, it's easiest to work from the middle of the bumper and work your way outwards. Some gentle pressure on the bumper slightly outwards underneath the headlamp should set the clips in position nicely. Remember that the fender lining sits on the inside of the bumper.

On the drivers side, the rear 10mm bolt holding the headlamp in is much easier to remove if you take out the battery.

Hope this helps!