Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman LS1 Got The Shakes

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
Hi there so I've had my WH Now for nearly a year when i first got it it cost me $2800 to get it Road Worthy supposedly all the seals were done on the engine, tail shaft center bearing supposedly done, rear drivers Universal joint and the part idk what its called but the part that holds the breaks and Tyre that connects to the diff was supposedly replaced. since i have had a go at this so called mechanic and do it all my self now i have replaced the Rear passenger Universal joint both rear shocks and the steering rack, now as i drive it above 50kms i feel shuddering in my car cant tell what side but feels like its in the mid of car, That's Center Bearing Gone yer? it is a auto and it is in need of a service but i don't think that's what could cause it . What are Every Ones Thoughts.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
oh i have also replaced the rear passenger controll arm with a second hand one from the wreckers but was unable to adjust it so the wheel is on a little angle not much though.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
i have replaced the Rear passenger Universal joint
If this is the rear drive shaft l did hear it needs to be ballanced. The trunion and trunion flange that the L/R rear wheel and drivshaft bolts to has a bearing that can need replacment.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
oof if its that i probably will just get a new diff

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
If this is the rear drive shaft l did hear it needs to be ballanced. The trunion and trunion flange that the L/R rear wheel and drivshaft bolts to has a bearing that can need replacment.
Universal Joints are what there called in the rear the front are called CV joints you are thinking of the Boot that goes into the diff

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'm not sure, l think maybe you both are talking about 2 different things?
First person is talking about drive shaft (shaft from diff to wheel hub)?
Second person is talking about a tailshaft (transmission to diff)?
Could be wrong?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Universal Joints are what there called in the rear the front are called CV joints you are thinking of the Boot that goes into the diff
The rear drive shafts meaning diff to wheels. Driveshafts and tailshafts need ballancing.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The rear drive shafts meaning diff to wheels. Driveshafts and tailshafts need ballancing.

Where did you get the info that CV shafts need to be balanced (and who would even offer this service)? Replaced them before with completely different items and had no problems relating to this. Would pretty much mean that every off the shelf replacement CV shaft wouldn't work for every car on earth, and given that they're splined (on both ends depending on the car, particularly FWD) would pretty much mean there's and infinite number of ways that the thing could be put on wrong.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Where did you get the info that CV shafts need to be balanced
For the purpose of reconditioning 2 rear driveshaft l called Hardy Spicer. I was advised the universals needed to be pressed. To address any vibration issues ballancing is required.
there's and infinite number of ways that the thing could be put on wrong.
l did end up purchasing genuine Holden rear driveshafts at $740 each. The driveshaft needs to be fitted correctly eg: diff side/ trunion side.