Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman oil pressure switch and oil leak

dreadlockchippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
hey all

so my gen III 2002 WH Statesman engine warning light came on..took it to a holden dealer, they told me i need a new oil pressure switch.
they put one in...was fine until a week later the light came back on, on my dash, took it to holden again. it was the same code. they told me it was a faulty oil pressure switch they had just put it. (was a genuine holden part). also i noticed an oil leak and whenever the revs go above 3, 3,500 the low oil pressure light lights up and chimes at me. the car is hardly losing oil. i regulary check the oil and very rarely do i have to top it up. holden put in on a hoist and told me it was a leak "probably" coming from the sump but couldnt diagnose exactly where it was coming from.

now im not very mechanically minded and dont know all that much about cars but was wondering if anyone out there has any clues as what to do next? like if i replace the oil pressure switch again will it just come back faulty again? does the oil pressure leak have anything to do with the faulty oil pressure switch? where would the leak possibly be coming from? and how major or minor will it be to fix

any help much appreciated, cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I think it would need to be a very huge leak to affect the oil pressure. It could be a problem with the oil pump, perhaps a blockage at the oil pick up. How many kms has the car done and has it been well serviced? Also, is there enough oil in it?

dreadlockchippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
its done about 152,00kms. has been well serviced, probably due for one now actually but thought id ask around what the problem could be before holden charge me an arm and a leg. ive heard of similar problems before and the holden dealers have charged the person thousands trying to locate the problem when originally it was a simple fix. there is enough oil in it...i check it regulary to make sure its not losing too much oil but as i said its hardley losing any