Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH statesman thermostat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
Hi everyone
I have an ecotec WH statesman that for a while now has been taking a long time to get up to operating temperature. I had to replace the thermostat about 2 years ago with a high flow 82 degree thermostat since it was the only one available in my area on short notice and have noticed its taking longer and longer to get up to operating temperature. Does anyone know what degree thermostat i should run in an unmodified ecotec with 261k on it?

Thanks

H

harrop.senator

91 is factory from memory. Unless you're having economy issues or the heaters to slow I'd just leave it in. I run 82's in most mine.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Change the thermostat to the factory designed specification. There is no benefit (other than making you feel better when you look at the temperature gauge) in running a cooler thermostat than standard. Most engine wear takes place before the engine reaches normal operating temperature, and a cooler thermostat only lengthens this period. You might ask the proponents of cooler thermostats why they don't use even lower temperature thermostats if it's such as good idea. Why not stop at 82c why not 75c, 70c or even lower?

1622107400321.png