Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH statesman trans fluid

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had slip in my 4 speed VE with Penrite LV. The FS is better but I'm still getting a bit of slip sometimes. Not sure if that's just normal at 280000ks or if I change the fluid again... There's so many fluids now it's painful!
It might have been you Greenacc that mentioned issues with Penrite when I was asking about it. Either way I never used the Penrite gear and have had no issues with a mix of Nulon and Hi-tec. I have unknown miles on my 4L60e but it drives really well, especially with the stally and the usual minor upgrades.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Probably.
Yes Nulon full syn is great stuff!
I might have to hunt around for another bottle and try it again. Thinking about trying that Lucas anti slip stuff too.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I use HiTech or Nulon full syn in mine . According to trans tech full syn is good for 60k, where as DXIII is more like 20-25k. Given they run fairly hot because of the small converter I think full syn is the go. Plenty of blokes running DX3 without issue though. I pay to have mine serviced and syn from the tech is only a tad more than DXIII as he buys drums of it but rarely uses DXIII these days unless requested.
Someone on here mentioned some problems with Penrite full syn, such as slippage. I decided to not try it just in case.
I changed my VE 2008 Anniversity Auto oil and Filter yesterday and used Penrite Full Syn Auto oil ATF LV. Yes Full syn oil mixed with other I think , I think Mineral oil. The VE has 158,000 on the clock and I think this is the very first oil change on the Gearbox since coming out of the Holden Factory. The oil still had a orange look at it considering the mileage. Yes there was clues that told me the auto gearbox has never been touched before.
Now the Next Auto Gearbox to do in the next month (other jobs to do first around the house and yard)) or so is my Son Statesman (The OP) because know one knows how long that oil is in that gearbox.
We will buy Dex 3 (castrol) oil 4 ltr container as I did my VR Commodore 3 months ago and that uses DX111 and still have a little left because the VR only uses a little less than 4 ltr.

By the way I re-designed a screw driver to remove that seal on the filter tunnel, Long, just wide enough, very smooth and collapses it without leaving a gouge mark in the circle where the new seal goes in.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Next question, which Dex 3 is the best?
For Dex 111 I will stick with Castrol, don't know if they are still a mineral or or they have change to full syn. And yes they are plenty of Dex 3 to selected.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I am not sure about dex 3 but the difference between mineral engine oils and synthetic is the synth is highly refined to same carbon chain length molecules instead of random length molecules as found in regular mineral engine oil. Apparently the rule of thumb is if it isn't stratospherically high in price it is highly refined, and not really a synthetic oil as in "artificial".

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
our 2002 vx has nearly 400,000km and trans is as good as the day we bought it
only ever used mobil dex3,
fluid change every 40,000km and filter 100,000km

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I am not sure about dex 3 but the difference between mineral engine oils and synthetic is the synth is highly refined to same carbon chain length molecules instead of random length molecules as found in regular mineral engine oil. Apparently the rule of thumb is if it isn't stratospherically high in price it is highly refined, and not really a synthetic oil as in "artificial".
You're pretty much right there. The good news for us is that the highly refined class of everyday synthetic oils that fill half the shelves at the local store are still very good oil. The oils that are always mentioned on here like HPR5, EDGE, Helix, Synpower. Better than the oils labelled semi synthetic.

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
All the top transmission builders recommend to use straight mineral dexron 3 fluid in the 4l60e. I wouldnt use penrites dex 3 because it's multivehicle. Transmissions are sensitive to the type of fluid used and the wrong fluid can make it shift differently. That said, i've been running penrites dex 3 multivehicle without issues but i'm installing a transgo hd2 shift kit and other parts and will be using castrol dex 3 this time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All the top transmission builders recommend to use straight mineral dexron 3 fluid in the 4l60e.

Is that right?? You know all the top builders in every state then?