Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman V6 - Water Pump?

dfaktz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 3.8L
Hey forums! *NEVERMIND, CHECK POST UNDER THIS ONE, SORRY!*
..Been taking care of some long overdue problems on my WH Statesman v6 lately, since it was almost WELL over for its 150(or 160?) major service - Car had one owner with perfect mech books previous to me (owned for about 15months now).

So, sorry about the rambling, I have a problem with getting to the point!
Quite suddenly a week or two back, the car wasn't starting at all! ..Tried any battery/tapping/belt checking and it happened "overnight" working one night, then nothing next day, I came to the conclusion that its very likely the starter motor.
My brother and I changed that and boom! Started as fast as I can ever remember -- I then progressed to do a minor service of the car.

Today, as a late birthday present, my father brought me a water pump from repco to fix the intermittent high temps it gets to with no apparent other reasoning, the overheating seemed to have most effect at idle and some effect long-distance.. the first time I ever tried to fix this I was very low on oil and filled her back up, was fine (Seemingly fixed!) for a little while then the problem came back (Maybe I was driving different or the days were cooler). But now something has been brought for me, I guess it's time to fix it properly!

I am so sorry (no seriously) for that wall of text, I told you I was bad at getting my point across without backstory -- My question is, with the information you have, how likely is the water pump swap going to fix this intermittent overheating? Can I check? aka is it the culprit, well known issue? The reason I'm asking is that I know he paid quite alot and that money could be used elsewhere instead (even more-so in my mind because I know at a wreckers its always going to be insanely cheaper), he won't tell me exactly what so that usually means atleast $300 ish.
So, if I should be looking elsewhere, thus asking here in the forums, I know that the money can go to many other things I need done like AC re-gassing and a couple other things.

Last edited:

dfaktz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 3.8L
So, I just showed him this thread since he asked and he said he paid trade price at repco and it was only $80.. I guess you can delete this thread or if not, forget everything I said above other than the car model, take into account I have about half a years experience in fitting out car audio systems and my new question is, the 10 disc stackers in the boot, if they throw error codes to the dash and arn't working all of a sudden, any suggestions on how to move forward?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The V6 are notorious for getting too hot if the cooling system is not bled properly.
What is the error code for the stacker. Holding the "ON" button for 10 seconds is a fix for one of them.