Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman...wierd noise when accellerating off a left turn...ideas?

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Exec. Wagon
Hi guys.

I'm having a bit of an issue with my WH Statesman at the moment. I'm getting a strange rough/grindy sort of noise when I'm accellerating out of a left hand turn. It's only when turning left, and not only on sharpish corners, even sometimes changing lanes into the left, if I accellerate I'm hearing a roughness in the accelleration.

I took it to my regular mechanic who said it was most likely wheel bearings (he had replaced the drivers side bearings in the front not too long ago) as he could hear some noise coming from the passenger side wheel when he spun it on the machine that does that.

Anyway I had the passenger side front wheel bearing replaced today and the exact same noise is still happening. I'll be calling him tomorrow to figure out what's going on and perhaps hope that he can suggest something else, but I'm open to anyones suggestions on what it could be so I can maybe narrow down what I'm looking for.

I can't afford to just be getting random things replaced until we find what the problem is hah.

Thanks for any info that can be put forward.

Cheers,

salty

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Maybe a worn or broken engine mount.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a follow up on this from this morning. I had two passengers in the car who thought it sounded like the noise was coming from the back end of the car. The one sitting in the back said it sounded like it was right near where she was sitting (Drivers side backseat).

Taking it back in this afternoon to get it looked at again. Bit annoying that I had something in the front fixed (that admitedly was shot) to have people say it sounds like it's in the back! hah.

Thanks for the suggestion accentstencil, I'll swing that by him as a suggestion. I had previously been told my engine mounts were sagging.

Would they be something I'd be able to easilly just see by looking in the bonnet?

As you can tell I'm mostly mechanicaly useless...unless it plugs straight in I'm hopeless.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Check the engine mounts from under the car. Use some sort of lever to move the engine around a bit and check the mounts for cracks and see if the sump is hitting anything as you move the engine.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another update -

Mechanic ruled out engine mounts. Said it could be a rear CV shaft but called another mechanic who said it sounded like it could just need a diff oil change.

I need new brakes done anyway so Monday will be new discs and pads and a diff oil change. See how we go from there.

salty

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK new update -

Today I had this done -

- Front discs machined
- New front brake pads
- Diff oil change and Holden diff additive added

Brakes like a dream, sounds like it's running much smoother.

But the same DAMN noise from my first post is STILL happening. The mechanic said that he took the car past a tyre place today and had someone there check out the tyres, who said that they were horrible tyres.

I'll be the first to admit my tyres are CRAP. But they seem to be putting the noise I'm describing in my first post down to my crap tyres.

I just don't get how I could have driven the car on the same crappy tyres (obviously not THE same ones, but the same make) for 4 years and have never heard this noise before.

COULD it just be a random horrible tyre noise? It hasn't had a wheel alignment in ages because I'm always getting tyres changed at different times so there's never 4 REALLY consistant tyres on it and the tyre place (Kmart) won't do an alignment on it like that.

Should I take it to another mechanic and get another opinion on the noise? With the wheel bearing and this work I'm now $500+ into random repairs and upkeep and still have the same noise. I really don't want to be $900+ in decent tyres down and find out I STILL have the same noise.

stato2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 2000 v6 ecotec
check your power steering fluid

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You may have a problem with your rear wheel bearing.