Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
I have a 99 Statesman. I was driving along last night, when I switched high beam on the cluster dimmed for about half a second followed by the RPM+speedo readings spiking slightly and all of the dash warning lights displaying for roughly 3 seconds before everything returning to normal. Happened 5 or so times before I could turn on high beams without the issue occurring. Unfortunately I am **** house at diagnosing electrical faults so any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The first thing to do is get your alternator checked with a multimeter at the battery terminals with the engine running.
It should be around 14.4 volts give or take a bit. A much lower or higher reading is no good.
I suspect it's overcharging.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
I know from experience with a faulty battery then faulty voltage reg that the alternator doesn't charge over 14.2 volts. The instrument cluster/warning lights aren't playing up atm and it's charging at 14.65 volts. I'm planning on taking the car for a run tonight to see if I can get it to play up then get a reading from the multimeter while it's actually playing up.
Cheers, I never would of thought of checking the alternator.