Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Stato fuel gauge wires

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
As some of you may know, a couple months ago I did a climate conversion on my VT and installed a WH Stato body loom.

After some minor teething problems I got it driveable pretty quickly however I do still have one minor issue to deal with.

The fuel pump wiring on the Stato loom differed from the Commy loom. Some help from a couple of posters and a bit of tracing and testing and that was solved so I got it running.

However what I didn't sort out was the fuel gauge wires.

The Commodore (L67) had a four pin plug but the Stato had a 5 wire plug that looks like this:

So the Black/Blue trace and the Violet (outsides) are the fuel pump earth and 12v, no issues there. Can anyone tell me specifically which two of the three remaining wires (Black/White, Violet/White, Light Blue) are the wires that run to the in tank fuel gauge (potentiometer)? If possible too (though less urgent) what the remaining wire is for. My guess is it's something to do with the fuel controller which I don't currently have installed but will be eventually.

The wiring diagrams I have as you can see show the colours of the wires but don't tell me specifically which wire is for what.

Thanks in advance.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
So while waiting for a response I went and checked the remaining wires with a test light. Ignition on, no power to any of them.

I have a spare L36 fuel pump I can use for testing so I was going to wire up to that to see if the dash gauge would respond but since I have no power at any of those wires that is a bit of an issue.

The light blue wire is a smaller gauge than the other two wires so again just guessing, may well be wrong, that would be the 12v+ for the fuel gauge sender unit. I was gonna trace that back but wouldn't you know there's two light blue wires at the BCM end, one from memory is one of the rear lights, can't remember which.

So the other thing that could help me solve my issues is, does anyone have a pinout diagram fro the WH High level BCM? Unfortunately colours alone won't help as I'm not blind, I can see which colours come from where but what each is for would be extremely helpful, now and in future. The wiring diagrams and service manual I have just don't go into that kind of detail.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Looking at the wiring diagrams in the VT to VZ manuals, It shows the the Violet(purple) wire and the Black/blue wires there for the fuel pump power and earth, (as you already know) but the other colours are not shown anywhere.. It shows a Tan or Light Brown wire going from the gauge sender in the fuel tank to the dash, and shows a Black/yellow wire going from the other side of the gauge sender to earth and also back to the dash.. Even the VT factory workshop manual doesnt show any of these wires, just the Tan or Light Brown one I mentioned above..

EDIT- Just looked at the supercharged VT factory wiring diagram, and it shows theres a fuel pump control module, it uses a Black/blue wire, a violet wire, a Black/white wire, a Violet/white wire, and the Light Blue wire.
The Light Blue wire goes from fuel pump control module to PCM terminal E5.
The Violet/white wire goes from fuel pump control module to fuel pump.
The Black/white wire goes from fuel pump control module to fuel pump.
The Black/blue wire leaves fuel pump, then it turns into a Black/white wire which goes from fuel pump control module.
The violet wire goes from fuel pump relay to fuel pump control module.

Last edited:

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
As usual Brett I reckon you may have come to my rescue again. That looks exactly like what I was looking for.

I'd previously figured this body loom was from a V8 but that works out fine 'cos I want to fit the fuel controller anyway. That YR45 plug above appears twice immediately adjacent to each other in my manual described as both the V8 and L67 plug. The L67 despite being identical in every other way utilises the controller. Wire colours are identical.

The first paragraph you posted is where my issue came in because those colours are the colours of the short loom from the pump to the body loom. Different in number and colour from what I had.

It may not solve all my issues immediately (although clearly until the engine is under sufficient load I won't get a PCM signal to the fuel controller anyway) but it will definitely help me when I get around to fitting the L67. While I did the loom swap I fitted the L67 fuel pump so all I need is the controller to get it all working as it should.

Many thanks again for your help Brett. As much as I'm happy to admit electrics are my weak point I like to try to nut out whatever I can but some things, particularly with these computer controlled cars, are just too difficult without the right information so I truly appreciate your help. I sometimes miss the simplicity of my old Kingswoods, Torries, Panel Vans and the like but I do like the modern additions too but not as simple as it used to be when a test light and some basic electrical understanding was all you needed.

Cheers again. Next time I'm within cooee of Tamworth I owe you a beer.

Jackszs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh statesman supercharged
I am trying to wire up a normal v6 fuel pump into l67 can anyone help me out