Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH V6 Slow Crank when warm + cutout issue

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Hi folks,
Got a couple of issues that i might run past you clever folk!

When cold car starts fine 90% of the time.

When warm it cranks slower and can take a couple of goes (this is frustrating because i have to do a couple of warm starts every day).

Also, very odd occasion (maybe 1-2 times a month?) the engine will just die when on the road... usually when under light/no throttle.. just completely dies. Can usually restart when rolling in neutral but can be hit by the slow crank when warm here too.

Battery is ~15 months old RACQ unti that was tested as OK a couple of months ago. Alternator is 4 month old Bosch unit. Terminals have all been cleaned recently too, replaced one of them.

Soooo... any ideas chaps?

Bishy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S2
i have had the same problem over the last few months... recently took it in and got a few things fixed....
1) slow cranking when starting... turned out the battery lead on the starter motor was loose... which caused the nut to be ceased from arcing out a few times... when you try to tighten it up the nut, it snaps... which means a new starter motor.... Starts like a dream now.
2) I would be driving down the road and when i stop at traffic lights, every now and then the car would stall... had the Crank Angle Sensor replaced (known problem with VT's)
3) Car still stalled after having the Crank Angle Sensor replaced took it back and had the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter replaced..... this may have been the stalling problem before hand but.... who knows... anyway the car is running like a dream now....

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Awesome... how much did the diff parts cost to get replaced?

I pretty much had my eye on the starter for the slow crank... obviously really lol.

I was thinking fuel pump for the stall because i have been getting the odd grumble noise from it but this has been happening for like 2 years lol. But only happens when coasting or very light throttle.... you would think CAS could trip it at any point?

Bishy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S2
I bought the starter motor from Autobarn for $119 (Bosch) got it fitted for $45
Crank Angle Censor cost me $180 fitted...
Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter cost me $430 fitted...

All within just over a week.... bank manager is not happy with me..

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Cheers :)

I'm hoping it's just starter and CAS... that I can deal with. Fuel pump will make me not happy :( lol

Might go with starter for now and work my way from there... at least if the car starts it doesn't matter as bad if it cuts out if i can restart straight away :p God that sounds bad...

Know what you mean about bank manager, had radiator, alternator, heater tap and some other random relay issue all in 2 weeks :( ouch.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Just a question if i may
When you car was cutting cut did any dash lights come up??
Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
It's at the auto elec's now anyway... will see what it comes back with. He said he would do a full test before replacing anything. Previous experience says he doesn't take shortcuts with diagnosis :)

Well it was def the starter... replaced and goes a charm - better than it ever has for as long as i've owned the car.

No idea on the stalling yet, will have to sort it out later as i just don't have any money left lol... but at least if the starter is working i can just slip into N and restart quickly... i know that sounds bad but it doesn't happen often.

Last edited:

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
No idea on the stalling yet, will have to sort it out later as i just don't have any money left lol... but at least if the starter is working i can just slip into N and restart quickly... i know that sounds bad but it doesn't happen often.
sounded exactly like my VT's symptoms mate. for 8 months or so, mine would just randomly cut out on me (4-5 times in the 8 month period), didnt matter what travelling speed, temperature etc. but when it would cut out, i was able to start it up and keep going without even stopping. but 4 weeks ago it did it, but refused to start this time. anyway, after 4 weeks and having 1 auto sparky, and 2 different mechanics look at it, turned out to be a faulty ignition module that died a slow death. cus it was giving out incorrect, or no spark, hence cut out or no start.

among other things, cost me $255 for a new ignition module (not inc labour). might be worth a look if you have more grief mate ;)