Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What’s a good height to lower my VF SS ute without it bottoming out?

Shaniqua

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series 1 Ute
G’day legends! First time poster and as much as I’m a Holden enthusiast I’m nit well versed in the mechanical side of things unfortunately haha just wondering what a good height to drop my ute would be? Just want the tyres to fill the guards out a bit better but also help with the uterus sticking to the road a bit better. At the same time don’t want to have to worry about driving sideways up a driveway or it bottoming out everywhere. Is lowering 50mm too much and any recommendations on suspension kits/ shock absorbers?

Cheers!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah our stock wagon scrapes on our near-flat driveway (well actually - it’s on the road) if we’re not careful.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
G’day legends! First time poster and as much as I’m a Holden enthusiast I’m nit well versed in the mechanical side of things unfortunately haha just wondering what a good height to drop my ute would be? Just want the tyres to fill the guards out a bit better but also help with the uterus sticking to the road a bit better. At the same time don’t want to have to worry about driving sideways up a driveway or it bottoming out everywhere. Is lowering 50mm too much and any recommendations on suspension kits/ shock absorbers?

Cheers!
Stock ride height (FE3). If you go any lower you will be bottoming out and hitting wheel bollards with the front bar. My VE SSV was on Kings SL springs and it scraped on the relatively mild driveway at my work and I had to make sure to stop well short of the wheel bollard so I didn’t rip the front bar off. I put stock FE3 springs in it and it doesn’t bottom out now and will only just scrape wheel bollards if I go too far in.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
If you have driveway issues then 50mm may be too much.

Besides the stock ground clearance in VE/VF isn't that great, lowering 50 mm would be getting you a yellow sticker.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Stock ride height (FE3). If you go any lower you will be bottoming out and hitting wheel bollards with the front bar. My VE SSV was on Kings SL springs and it scraped on the relatively mild driveway at my work and I had to make sure to stop well short of the wheel bollard so I didn’t rip the front bar off. I put stock FE3 springs in it and it doesn’t bottom out now and will only just scrape wheel bollards if I go too far in.

I never drive forward onto those things, I always reverse in as the rear has far better clearance and that way you never have to worry about them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just thought I’d post this here :p

(edited to add original post courtesy of VS 5.0 ;))

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Here's King SSL's front and rear. They list SSSL's for the rear I think is too low for an SSL front spring. By memory it lowered mine around 40mm

20210612_162040.jpg

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
King springs sag so be careful what you instal .

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
King springs sag so be careful what you instal .
I've got ~18yo King's (for a VH Commodore) on my Volvo without any saggage.
Mind you, you wouldn't see it if it happened, there's no way short of front & rear guard reshaping by a metalwork master to make it look like the wheels fill the arches.