Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What’s the best performing apple car play solution?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Is it import road?

Does anyone have a car play upgrade, and can comment on ease of use / seamless functionality from my link etc?

Cheers

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
Ive got the import road setup.
Its not perfect - but its close. I also have a VW amarok with the factory carplay and its good, the main differences are.

You have to hold the back button down each time you get in to get it to bring up car play. I normally just listen to triple j, but if you are listening to the radio - you dont have any noise from the carplay setup. The import road (and i think naviplus) use the 'aux in' function of the stereo. So - basically leave the car on aux in, and just remember to hit the back button each time you get in.
Due to the above, I no longer use the fm radio - i have the triple j app going through carplay (just be mindful that its using data off your phone to stream). I have also removed the phone from bluetooth, and it just functions through carplay (othewise i think it or you can get confused where your phone call is going.

For me - the big one was having waze or apple maps etc, so the above things arent ideal - but they arent a major, and at the time - I couldnt find a better solution.

If you can - i would recommend trying to see a car that has it installed, so you can go through it how YOU would use it and see for yourself. I asked a few questions that got answered well enough, but I didnt realise some things until I was actually using it.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
How important are rear cross traffic alert and heated seats to you? If not very, go for a good (ie, not cheap) carplay headunit with a facia kit. Much better tie in between any of the music and phone functions of the head unit and the vehicle settings handled by the facia kit. Theres no need to worry about what source your Mylink is on to make a carplay kit work.

My biggest pet peeve with my set up is my Pioneer unit wont let me switch between its front or back camera input when the facia kit is outputting a video. As a result, everything needs to go through the Reverse camera channel. I need to have my reverse guidelines turned of otherwise they cover the Aircon and car settings screens.

VFSV340

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV 340
NaviPlus solution and works great

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
How important are rear cross traffic alert and heated seats to you?
I don’t think anything includes the current speed & speed-limit in the HUD does it?

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Oh yes. I forgot about HUD.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Import Road.

Unfortunately until the day the full MyLink head unit can be replaced entirely with a new system (with exception to the Keyhan / Walkinshaw solution which there is funny feedback on) or the MyLink head unit can have CarPlay integrated as part of it, nothing will be perfect. But the Import Road by far for reliability and service.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the MyLink head unit can have CarPlay integrated as part of it
i dont think that will ever be a thing.
the mylink lacks the hardware and programming/drivers for it to be integrated.
there could be a software layer developed to emulate some of the required functions for AA/CP but that would mean obtaining access to its os at the kernel level or require the source for the os to compile the patches in to it.

i think what is on the market now is pretty much going to be all people will get.

the idea envyouscustoms had with retrofitting the hmi 2> into the vf would be a real game changer but i think there were a few issues that were holding him back from getting it to work properly.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@vs355x, all these things have been discussed before. There are a few threads worth reading on the subject and searching the forum should help find them.

The reality is nothing has changed within the market regrading a better solution being released for us VF owners. There was some hope an updated Alpine VF specific unit would be released already but that seems to have been orphaned... May still get released but with Musk type delays and changes to delivery timeframe, who knows when/if it will ever see the light of day :rolleyes: