Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What’s up with Grandads Tranny?

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
73 HQ,VR & supercharged VS SS`s series 11
Howdy fellow Commodorians.
My Grandad has a 97 VS V6 Ute, the Auto is playing up, kinda....
It’s throwing a 66 code and physically the symptoms are-
Whenever a fresh ignition cycle is performed (car is started) and D is selected it will move off and transition through all gears nicely, but just that one (first) time, I then stays in 3rd and does not up/down shift to match road speed, so when coming to a stop at traffic light she stays in 3rd and obviously isn’t ideal. It can be manually shifted back to get 2nd gear and will cycle manually through 2nd & 3rd only, no 1st. I changed pan filter and oil but still same.
The old oil had certainly seen better days and very possible the old boy tops it up with water thinking it’s washer bottle, as a 92 yr old might.
The box changes very nicely and doesn’t slip that first time it goes after fresh start-up and can be repeated as many times as you care to stop, re-start etc.
Can anybody tell me if there is any 1 thing to cause this issue? I’m keen to get him back into his loved Panther Mica Ute, it’s got 150k on clock and besides this issue runs mint.
Hopefully I can fix for him without needing to drop a new box in it and give back his independence ASAP.
Cheers and I know I will get good advice from all.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Code 66 - 3 - 2 Shift Control Solenoid Circuit Fault - Auto Transmission Only
replace the shift solenoid (might as well do em both) and go from there
also may pay to check the PCM plugs are clean and making good contact and the trans loom is not damaged ect

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
If this trans has had water through it then it will definitely require a full flush and not just a pan drop and replace fluid / filter as the converter will still be full of the same contaminated fluid.

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
I did give it a good flush when I changed the filter, ran 8ltrs through and fluid is now pristine, no signs of milkshake. The flush would have cycled through converter also?
Maybe small blockage in cooling lines? Had lots of pressure when I took line off when flushing though.
I reckon if I do another flush/filter it may not fix it, while pans off anything I can double check?
Appreciate your reply mate.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
You disconnected the line while the engine was off, right ?

When you run the engine you will initially get a good spurt of pressure coming out of the end of the line and into the bucket, that's why it's best to have two people perform this operation. One to operate the ignition while the other controls the line into the waste bucket etc.

As Wozza suggested it may well be the shift solenoids, but at only 150,000K's I find that's hard to be the case here.

metalskin

get sum
Reaction score
Members Ride
i took line off, added extra 2 litres of fluid, then started the motor. drained about 2 litres and repeated. i put 8 litres through her to be sure 2 be sure.
should i check the solenoid resistances before pulling pan?
thanks again mate.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you have to pull the pan again make sure that everything around the lower part of the trans is super clean and then use a really large clean tray to collect all the fluid. After that get a nice clean lint free piece of material to use as a filter and run the fluid through it into clean containers or the original trans bottles if you still have them. No point in wasting any more fluid than you absolutely have to, this way you can reuse the fluid you've had in the box.

If you've taken the fluid out again you'll be able to see it there are any traces of water that will sit on top of the fluid. If there is simply lay flat pieces of newspaper over the top surface and it will take the separated water off the top.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Code 66 - 3 - 2 Shift Control Solenoid Circuit Fault - Auto Transmission Only
replace the shift solenoid (might as well do em both) and go from there.....

I think you are confusing the Control Solenoid with the 1-2 and 2-3 Shift Solenoids. For the OP, the file below is from the Holden VS Service manual and gives a full description of DTC 66. If you read the section entitled "Diagnostic Aids" you will see that it describes the exact symptoms you are experiencing with the trans.

I doubt that you have a problem with water in your trans fluid. Even so, the steps you have already taken are more than sufficient to remove that as a possible problem.

Attachments

• VS DTC 66 V6 PCM.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 130

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
My Bad....Meh my suggestion was ignored anyway ;)