Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What 4L60E can bolt to a 304 no mods

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
I have a 304. What gearbox from VT can bolt up to it with no mods?
A V6?
A V6 SC?
Gen III?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Pretty sure only the 304 trans will work with it.

Torque converter and bolt patterns from the V6 models will be wrong, and the torque converter is different on the LS to the 304.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Are you using it with vt ecu if so any 304 box from vr to vt will do early vr will require a code turned off in the tune due to it not having the pulse width modulated torque convertor solinoid like later boxes that applies the torque convertor lockup a bit softer than all the earlier boxes from vn upwards

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vt v8 auto has different bellhousing but biggest difference is take a different plug & tuning iirc

Basically if vt 304 engine & harness simplest to keep it all vt with manifold + maf & auto etc.

vn/p or vr/vs (except vs S3) can mix n match parts more easily

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I modded a vy v8 loom to work with the vs. trans plug is the same as is trans tune (or close enough). I was sent a VATS off VT memcal by mistake and it worked but wouldn’t communicate with the bcm. Got a proper tune done and it’s been good for a long time now.

Selector/safety switch is on the side of the box but can be removed if needed too.