Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What 5 gauges and where?

H

harrop.senator

Knock can come from to lean , to hot , low octane fuel or too much timing in the heat. It's not always oil pressure.

That's why I'm like aghh is temp more important because when I've had oil issues picked up by the gauge it's casual glances for it to be semi okay and fix when get home and it's always been with hot oil. Wear , viscosity issue or pump.

Everytime I've seen oil pressure low enough that it's had to be shut off and wasn't pump or the viscosity it's been a rebuild time. It makes me wonder if it the oil was at temp of there would still have been the issue.

I've never had a temp gauge even on cars with oil coolers fitted for the track.

It's definitely going to take some time to get used to concentrating on the peddling and multiple gauges. It may not but it's just something I've not really had.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I meant knock as in spun big end bearing haha
I bought a sub 100 thous km V6 recently, very tidy, all stock. Put gauges in strait up. 20 psi oil pressure hot at idle, 60 cold. Looks great. But I've seen 120°c oil temp doing the morning commute to work... First time owning an oil temp gauge.
I'm really shocked seeing such high temp. Explains the issues I'd had with my last 3 VS's.
Sounds like all V6's should have had an oil cooler from the factory.

H

harrop.senator

20 psi at temp definitely isn't ideal hahaha. I think the rebuilt one does 40 at temperature. It's been in pieces for paint for ages.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Isn't it 10 PSI per 1000 RPM?
20 psi at 800 rpm... That sounds reasonable in my mind thinking about what 20 psi feels like coming of a compressor or tire. And that's resistance to flow making that 20 psi on a factory built engine that has more clearance either by the factory or its age. I'm ok with being wrong but i want the science behind it.
What psi do you get under revs?

Side note, what viscosity oil did Holden recommend for new cars, wasn't it as low as 10w30 for colder areas? I feel like 20w50 is a band-aid for undiagnosed oil temps more then worn in engine clearances, which a 15w40 would probably be fine for if temps are kept bellow 100°c?
Just feels like everybody's ticking lifters has something to do with 20w50.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nahh.

The Manual says 375kpa (54psi) hot, minimum at 1850rpm and above
Max 414kpa (60psi)

I've seen over 70psi on a cold start and 40psi at idle (hot).

The V6 motors run fairly tight bearing clearances so you need some pressure to get that oil in there.

edit:

As for the question of what is the correct oil viscosity? Have a think about this, Holden recommended 20w-50 when the ecotec first came out in the VS (the 304 V8 also used 20w-50), now when Holden put the LS1 in the Commodore at the end of 1998 it had a recommended oil grade of 10w-30 and interestingly the recommended oil grade for the ecotec also changed to 10w-30.

What is the correct grade? are either grades the appropriate grade for the ecotec or was it just convenient so Holden service centres only had to stock 2 different grades of oil?!

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

I've just always ran 20 W 60 in them myself. I'll see what the machinist says for this one but he didn't cut the crank just polished it. so I doubt we'd drop viscosity.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
bit late on the take but have you thought about air in temp/air out temp gauges that go on the a2a plate?

H

harrop.senator

bit late on the take but have you thought about air in temp/air out temp gauges that go on the a2a plate?

I have , also have even tried to find kr gauges to see if can get something that reads the knock. Doesn't seem like it without a canbus style interface.

Timings not to late , had forty messages back and forth with the auto electrician that's modifying it for mafless , LS1 pcm and flex fuel. I don't know if I'll see that for weeks. It's been in play almost two years but I think he's onto it now. ( I don't harass people to leave something on the shelf and it makes things difficult. )

Rang my mate today and he's only got the balance Shaft , re polishing the crank cause it sat so long , cam bearings and core plugs. He reckons this fortnight but he got the block , balancer , flywheel , crank , pistons and rods in February. So not holding my breath , but at least it's mates rates

As long as I'm playing with it for my birthday and not just building a mate a Datsun and dad a Cleveland I'll be happy.