Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What 5speed manual in my VS?

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Hi i just got myself a VS MANUAL UTE 1996 SERIES2 V6. Now the workshop manual tells me that all VSs come with the same gearbox (rpo m78) and that they dont have linkages? Well mine does! A mate thinks its a getrag? Can anyone comfirm this? Also my workshop manual mentions nothing about the rubber coupling/unijoint on the drive shaft just behind the gearbox. Im in the processe of replacing the center bearing and would like to know if i unbolt the shaft from the rubber joint (and not worry about losing oil) or if i slide the shaft out of the box and if so what can i use to block the box seal(will a auto drive shaft front fit)? Oh and one last thing... seeing as this gearbox is not the one in the manual what gear box oil does it use and how much ?
Cheers Rich.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
If it is the Getrag 5spd used in the VS Series II there is no need to remove the yoke from the rear end of the transmission. Just unbolt and remove the driveshaft from the rubber coupling. If the rubber coupling also needs replacing it can also be removed from the yoke without removing the yoke from the transmisson. In any case, to remove the yoke from the transmission you need to remove the driveshaft and rubber coupling first to access the yoke retaining nut.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just unbolt and remove the driveshaft from the rubber coupling.

VS doesn't use the rubber donuts (and if there is infact one, something's not right). Just slide the yoke/entire shaft out, you won't lose oil unless you're tipping the box on some mad angle.

OP, VS S1 = T5, VS S2 = Getrag. Easy way to tell is if there's a slave cylinder it's a Getrag.

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
VS doesn't use the rubber donuts (and if there is infact one, something's not right). Just slide the yoke/entire shaft out, you won't lose oil unless you're tipping the box on some mad angle.

OP, VS S1 = T5, VS S2 = Getrag. Easy way to tell is if there's a slave cylinder it's a Getrag.

Really? in that case my Gregorys VS V6 Workshop manual must contain incorrect and misleading information & pictures.
According to my Gregory's, the T5 in the Series I doesn't have the rubber coupling between the transmission and the prop shaft but the Getrag in the Series II does.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
T5 uses 3 wire speed sensor on side of box, getrag uses 2 wire sensor on ring gear at read output shaft

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
RJK sorry your wrong. Dave at least your Gregorys has the Getrag and rubber donut info "my Haynes has incorect and misleading information" BIG TIME ha. 07GTS i will investigate the sensor. Now ive replaced the center bearing. I thougt it a good idea to to actully replace the mollywatsit grease. I cleand the lot and got it back together on the shaft (at this.point i havent added grease) but it seems jamed. Removed it reassembled it on the bench still seems jamed. Disassembled another spare shaft cleaned the lot put on shaft.... jamed! Put some not lots of grease on and it moves but not much or well. Is it purely a lack of grease? And or the lack of weight/ leverage because the other half of shaft is not attached? Both seem like long shots so what am i doing wrong? Any ideas?
Cheers Rich