Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What 6L motor to drop into vz wagon

Steve1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim wagon 07
I have a vz acclaim wagon its auto , i want to drop a 6L L98 or L67 MANUAL conversion into it im keeping the car forever because it was my dads whats the best motor and easiest conversion?? Ill buy the doner car and get a shop to transfer the lot for me!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Leave the VZ as is and drive it as your daily.
Dad will appreciate that.
Buy a V8 Commodore of your choice and use it as your weekend car, it will be a lot cheaper than throwing money at the VZ.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
L67 won't be legal in a VZ, VZ 6L are hard as buggery to find so if you were serious find a vz ute with a LS1 and transfer across, you/shop will need to change the dash loom and all too, not a small job by any means. 10k+ in labour to get a shop to do it easily, without the cost of the donor.

Steve1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim wagon 07
L67 won't be legal in a VZ, VZ 6L are hard as buggery to find so if you were serious find a vz ute with a LS1 and transfer across, you/shop will need to change the dash loom and all too, not a small job by any means. 10k+ in labour to get a shop to do it easily, without the cost of the donor.

So the 6.0L isnt even legal ?? You reckon go to 5.7l ls1 ? I was pushing even for 6.2L ? Only reason is if im going to the expense i may aswell go as big as i can find

Steve1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim wagon 07
Leave the VZ as is and drive it as your daily.
Dad will appreciate that.
Buy a V8 Commodore of your choice and use it as your weekend car, it will be a lot cheaper than throwing money at

Yeah its my daily now but when i get a company car i want to keep it in the garage and turn it into a weekend beast

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
6L would be legal, L67 will not. Reason I reccomended a LS1 is that finding a 6L donor ute (for tailshaft etc) you'll be pushing **** up hill, they didn't make that many of them and a road going one still going for 12k+ with wrecks extremely hard to come by. Just depends on how much time and money you want to sink into it really, 6.2L would be a LS2 or LS3 both of which would require engineering so more $$. I wouldn't bother doing it unless you can do the majority of the work yourself, as if you're paying someone else to do it you may as well go buy a regod VE SS wagon as they're plentyful and will cost the same as what you're planning.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You will need to ensure that ALL ADR's (Australian Design Rules) that existed for YOUR vehicle when it was manufactured are complied with. Anything less and your vehicle will be illegal (un-roadworthy) for on-road use within Australia. To avoid ALL legal issues I suggest you purchase a vehicle with a V8 installed (as manufactured). If (IF) you were able to satisfy ALL aspects of the relevant ADR's you would still have to get the vehicle engineered before approval for registration - in ALL States.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Ute, not crewman. The Motor and box would work but the tailshaft and diff will not.

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman