Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What amp do I need?

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I am thinking of upgrading my pretty average sound system in my VS ute. Currently has an old JVC head unit, 6" JVC splits and a sub next to the fuel tank which had its wire cut by the previous owner, im assuming when he/she removed the amp.

What amp would i need run all the speakers? Im not looking to spend a fortune, if a second hand one will do the trick im happy with that. And how do you run the splits off the amp? Im keen to give it a go for myself.

Cheers

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What model speakers and sub?

You could use a 4 channel amp to power the fronts and sub but I can't tell you a power rating until I know the speakers. You could always just go for as much power as you can find :D Jaycar 4x100 are decent amps for the money... Otherwise I'd be looking for a second hand 4 channel.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Im not sure what model they are, haha I just had my door trim off a few weeks ago too. They arent anything special and arent new though. I could look, but does knowing the model only tell you what power i need? Because i have looked on ebay and seen cheap, powerful 4 channel amps there. If it is too much power i can always just turn it down haha. How much power would an average set up like mine need? So do i need a 4 channel?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Speakers probably 50W per channel minimum and you really need to know the sub power rating because a 50x4 amp when bridged can make from 120W to 200W depending on brand... But that doesn'dthelp if your sub is rated at 400W.

If you can't find model numbers, I'd just grab a 100Wrms x 4 amp to be safe :)