Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are manifold insulators? What do they do? How do they work?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I thought it may have been because the spacer wall might be too narrow but there is a part of it that is about the narrow width if the notch was made.
Could a MACE rep clarify?

MACE

Reaction score
Is there a reason the spacers are designed without the notches for factory gaskets?

It concerns me using these with silicon sealers, that if ever silicon finds its way through and into the cats, it can do quite a bit of harm to them. I've recently read some Holden tech info on damage to cats from silicons.

I have the spacers on two cars and enjoy the subtle improvements in the way the car feels.

I have one manifold off and was thinking of drilling a notch to allow factory gaskets to be used instead of silicone sealant.
A pity they don't come like that. It would be a better finish to the product when using factory designed gaskets.
Great question. This is because we designed the kits to be run without the factory gaskets. In saying this though, there is no reason why the dowels on the factory gaskets can't be trimmed to suit, as the bolts through the manifold insulator and gaskets, ultimately line everything up anyway.

The silicone sealant that we supply is O2 and cat converter safe. Unless an obscene amount of silicone sealant was used, I don't see how there would be an issue, which is indicative by the fact we have never had an issue with these items with the silicone sealant we supply.

Are they made for the vn v8?
Sadly not, but would be possible to make though.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately, mechanics that have done work on the car, are not so caring as to what sealant they are using.
This is actually the main reason why, I wanted to go with gaskets.

Thanks for the response Steve. It's always good to get the story behind products rather than speculation from other sources.

MACE

Reaction score
No problems, as long as your mechanic knows whats the good way to go it would be fine. Please let us know if we can be of any other help.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Michael

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have these for the L27?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I see they are listed for the Buick. However how do you know which one fits the 94 VR Buick? Also how does the spacers affect the front and rear seals? If they raise the manifold wouldn't the stock F & R seals sit below the edge of the manifold? Will I need a gasket kit if I was to fit these because surely the F & R seals leak if they are reused?

Commowar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 3.6
Trying to get an idea of how much is the right amount of silicon to use as I was concerned with it entering into the head too. I put my insulators on this arvo and when I pushed them down I noticed gue squeeze out into the chambers. I tried to clean that up as much as possible. Then for the manifold, I ran my finger around each hole for a gue buffer as you cannot see how much it squeezes out once it's on. Attached a couple of pics. There wouldn't be as much on the inside as the finished pic as I gave a buffer zone but this looks similar to the install pics.. Look about right I hope?

Attachments

• Manifold insulator gue.jpg
    Manifold insulator gue.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 221
  • Manifold insulator gue2.jpg
    Manifold insulator gue2.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 222

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride