Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are my rights with a shopping center damaging my car

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I parked my car at a servo once and the bumper scraped the concrete sleeper thing, later when I was reversing out it ripped and cracked my fibreglass spoiler beyond repair.

I talked to the guy behind the counter about it and he come and had a look and agreed its way too high and noticed all the scrape marks on the others as well..

I didn't ask but he told me I wouldn't have a chance at getting Shell to pay for it, then about 2 weeks later when I went there they had new ones there that were lower.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
lol if you drive into a pole in the car park can you make them pay... i dont think so... its not the car park owners fault you drove in there.. so sorry to say but i really dont think so.. i know how much it sucks as i ripped the rear bar off my car coming out of the drive way of a shopping center.. but you chose to go in its your problem

jamierawr88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Ve 2007 & Calais VE 2007
Done the full report with the ppl at Doncaster showed them where and what happened and even watched a few cars comming in over the humps scratch the bottom of there cars, they recon the muffler is damaged and told me to get quotes and there regional manager will make the final decision in 3-4 working days

jamierawr88

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol if you drive into a pole in the car park can you make them pay... i dont think so... its not the car park owners fault you drove in there.. so sorry to say but i really dont think so.. i know how much it sucks as i ripped the rear bar off my car coming out of the drive way of a shopping center.. but you chose to go in its your problem
If you ever go to the roof carpark in Doncaster shopping centre you'll know what I mean, these speed bumps are unavoidable, the metal casing on them is what is making to height to scratch the car,
And sabbathSS
My car is stock height, don't have to be a jack arse about it

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
.considering your car is "standard height" yet still bottoms out then every other stock car must be doing the same.

I know the speed humps he is talking about. A stock 2009 Toyota Yaris will bottom out on them, and even a stock VS wagon will bottom out on them. They are a stupid design and by the time you realise how high they are, it is too late to reverse out of the car park...

jamierawr88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually he may have some recourse. All speed humps need to comply with Australian standard AS2890.1. Have a study and then see if they are within the standard. If they are not then you have a pretty good chance of winning. Make sure you advise center management of the incident ASAP and then present them with the evidence. Chances are they will pay up the few hundred dollars to be rid of the issue.

Reaper

Yea I thought as much, the central management was informed of it today, just have to play the waiting game now

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
I had an issue with a similar designed speed bump at Carindale in Brisbane. Drove over one of them in my old HQ and one of the securing bolts had no nut on it and it slashed the wall of my tyre.
Took photos, went in and reported to centre management and then showed them the offending bump. They payed for the replacement tyre, fitting etc. no problem

Good luck mate...

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Have you taken photos of the carpark and offending speed humps including references that it is part of the shopping centre in question? I say this because the last thing you need it for them to do a complete change over in the night of all the speed humps. If your claim is successful it may open the flood gates for others effected by them, then there are the fraudulent claims.. Similar to the earlier post where the shell servo had fitted smaller ones after making a report..

We have some of these high sharp angled metal chequer plate speed humps and I normally try to drive over them from an angle. This limits the amount of vertical rebound from the car.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Subscribing to find out the outcome in 3-4 working days :)