Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are these white spots everywhere?

semmi

Reaction score
i have them all over my bonnet and some on my roof too, they are really obvious on a dark car! they look like stains rather than fading paint, and apparently it's the paint oxidising (as someone else said before) and not caused by birdshit or anything like that. it's because holden used crap paint in the early-mid 90s that isn't very UV resistant.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Holden did spend a bit of money upgrading their paint for the vt's but its still pretty crappy when you notice all the vt's that have paint peeling off the door handles. VX would probably be the same although the VY seems alright, maybe just cause the paint isnt that old yet.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
it is accturly bird @&*#, it bakes into ur paint because of all the plants and crap the birds eat, this matter turns there poo slightly acidic

this is not possible 2 get of with any chemicals or cleaners, the only way to get rid of these stains are by BARE metal resprays, as i work in a crash repairer i have seen this first hand many times and now i am more wiser with my car, i wash all cra# off asap so it dosent bake in,

resprays overs over old paint work wont fix the problem as they show though, it has to be a bare metal respray 2 get rid of them

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
at trade school i was told by a lectocha that, holdens use 2 use a soft clear coat which wasnt as glossy as now a days,

the soft clear coat had less shine but had less chance 4 chiping, this was ideal because australia is a big open country with lots of high speed country driving, so there 4 the bugs that hit the car wouldnt chip the paint off because of that.

where nowadays since holdens has startd xporting 2 the usa they have changed the clear coat because of complaints from the usa, they where complaining there wasnt enuf shine on the paint and they didnt need the clear coat soft because its mostly citys and urban turrain, so holdens changed, now they use a harder clear coat which is way more shiner BUT it is weaker (chips easyly), this is ideal 4 the yanks but not 4 us the origen of the car, so all the new commies have hard clear coats on and if u take ur new commie out 4 a highway cruz or trip get ready 4 a lot of brush touching on the bar because of the bugs