Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are you showing with your ODB-II sensor?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Yea i use torque for every day use since you can have track recorder, lets your phone record video with the output from the ECU on it as well.

And for clearing any codes that appear.

I have one of those OBDlinks as well, the bluetooth one.

And doesn't look like dash command is on sale to me, looks like its still $39.95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJgPnE-K11E

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I was using the Torque pro program when I had an old android phone but some usefull instruments didn't read but showed a little green light so could be the car. Oil preasure and Ethanol content come to mind. Is it still the same with newer iphone apps and or Target dongle.

No GoPoint (Target dongle) is fixed and now works with iphone version of DashCommand, supports the full gamut of GM Enhanced PIDs, like those two you mention.

khabel is correct that you are better off getting good one with high bandwidth and refresh rate for multiple PID channels and picking up high speed functions in real time like Knock Retard.

Worth noting that DashBoss has the most advanced features like alarms etc. Also iTSX is a complete solution just lacks the professional customisation of HP Tuners or EFILive. Does work with VE so I expect will work for VF:

[video=youtube_share;XPLzj8FCzEg]http://youtu.be/XPLzj8FCzEg[/video]

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I was just going to get a cheap one of ebay dont really want to spend alot. Can someone tell me or show me a link to one that works with a ve commodore or the best one to get. Help is appreciated.

Thanks

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I was just going to get a cheap one of ebay dont really want to spend alot. Can someone tell me or show me a link to one that works with a ve commodore or the best one to get. Help is appreciated.

Thanks

The Target one costs less than a tank of fuel, is guaranteed to work with most top software and let's you connect to the internet while its in use. I don't recommend anything much cheaper.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
When I took my car down for engineering my mate had one of these on his car, it plugs in with a cable to the OBD. Have to say after spending 4 hours in the car and him showing me what it will display I have decided to buy one for the Senator. It will show over 70 different outputs and was nice and compact. When it arrives i am going to see if i can mount it nicely. I know you can get nice displays for your phone or iPad but i just liked the way it was so small. I plan on having it displaying the O2 sensors, intake temp vs outside temp, I think I may also be able to display trans temp, AFR etc.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Most of the ELM327 OBDII scantools out there are cheap chinese ELM327 chip ripoffs.
The biggest problem with these is the board rate set from the factory is not the same setting as the genuine ELM327 chips. (So attempting to use them with a lot of software wont work out of the box).
However with a bit of dicking around, you can set the baud rate of these ripoff adaptors to get them working with a lot of software.

As for the other models, I have a OBDLink Scantool LX model (Bluetooth) model as well. This is a very good bit of gear, and comes with free software for Windows and Android.
(And the software is very very good).
The cons with this adaptor is that it uses true bluetooth serial. (Which is not supported on iOS devices).
I have gotten this adaptor to work on Windows, Linux, and Android. (However I have had no luck getting it to work with any Apple product, but to be fair, most of these adaptors you will be pushing pooh up hill getting them to work with any Apple product. (As their serial port – Bluetooth or hardwired – Apple support is rubbish).

The GoPoint BT1 device is the best option if you wish to use iOS devices.
The only downside with the GoPoint BT1 is that they do not publicly disclose the commands available, so if you wish to tinker with advanced stuff (like 29Bit or 11Bit SW Can stuff), then finding information on how to get this working with this scantool will be an uphill battle.

The main benefits with the OBDLink LX and the GoPoint BT1 is that they support the GM Lan high speed can bus lines, as well as the GM Single Wire Can 29Bit and 11Bit Can stuff).

For those wanting to know what SW Can is, the SW Can (Single Wire Can Bus Line) is used to tie all the creature comfort stuff together on VE / VF models.
(So the radio, cluster, HVAC, BCM, all talk together, and share information).

29Bit SW Can is used to broadcast information to other devices.
(So when you tune your radio to a certain frequency, the cluster will see the frequency broadcast and will display it on the cluster LCD screen).
There is a bucket load you can do with this line. Basically every single button, knob, switch (apart from power window and mirror) is broadcast on this line. (So you can tell if a button is pressed, or you can spoof a button press message).
Also every status message form these devices (Outside temp, mode setting on the radio, cluster display information, gear position, park assist info, HVAC settings, light settings, etc, are also broadcast (and can be messed with) using 29Bit Can.
For more information, seach GMLan Bible on Google for a list of 29Bit commands you can use to mess around with your car.

11Bit SW Can is used to Program convenience devices
Yep, you read this right. This is how you program a cluster, radio, HVAC, BCM, and other modules connected to the SW Can Bus. Programming includes enabling and disabling factory settings (such as police mode, TPMS, Sat Nav alerts, removing security lockouts, VIM, etc, etc).
For more information on how to mess around with the 11Bit Can stuff, search for the GM3110 white paper on google.
11Bit SW Can is not for the faint hearted. There is a LOT (and I mean a hell of a lot) of information to learn before you will be able to program a device using this method.
However once you have the hang of it, you will be hooked on what you can do :)

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Anyone had any experience with a cheap ebay one or am I wasting my time.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
i had one before i brought my OBDLink one, they are hit and miss if it will work or not.

So 50/50 it will work or it wont.

BTW it don't work on a v6

So the ebay ones dont work on a v6?

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Anyone had any experience with a cheap ebay one or am I wasting my time.

I have a cheapo ebay ELM327 Wifi not Bluetooth works with iPhone and iPad or PC, using Dash Command every thing works a treat