Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What brake upgrade?

H

harrop.senator

I'll admit I was going to buy a big brake upgrade today.

I've never had a loan or credit card and was about to use after pay I'd made my mind up that well! Or so I thought lol.

I don't know if it's because I'm quitting smoking. But I hate people that advertise bolt on kits and say may need other things.

When you definitely need other things and it's not a complete price.

Brake upgrade in question was ve calipers and 328mm rotors.

Brand new calipers , dog bones , pads and rotors.

$740 delivered for over east city's.

Didn't end up getting the postage quote to Perth but it's another $200 for lines that will work with it.

That's $950-1000.

I can get reconditioned vt-vz calipers , lines needed , pads , shims and rotors for $600+ post

Vy ute master cylinder $150 new.

Or wilwood Dynalite 4 piston kit , lightweight two piece rotors , brake pads and everything required to fit is $1200.

Unfortunately I can't get any C4 brake kits anymore or dog bones to run 4 pot Sumitomo Nissan calipers on a hsv disc.

Is ve really not necessary to replace the master and mod the booster?

Is there any chance the 328's and be calipers will fit under my 16's? Some 16's fit some don't with my c4's and 328's.

What would you personally do?

Yes I know I can buy used vt-vz stuff cheap but with everything else new I'll end up rebuilding them all. The kits from Bosch are $70 but warranteed new or reconditioned I think will be easier and take another job off the list.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Before I had 4 pot HSV callipers fitted to my vh I had Nissan R32 4 pot callipers on the front of the car. An engineering shop next to the place that fitted them made the brackets to fit. They had to be engineer approved before fitting. That was about 15 years ago. I can't remember what it cost but I don't think it was that dear. My memory of the size wheel I had fitted is not that good but I think they were 16".

H

harrop.senator

Thanks man I think I may have some 4 spot Nissan kicking around. I might ask around see if anyone at work can CBF helping me draw some dog bones up if I do.

My brains saying you're looking at 3-400 rwhp in a 1300kg car single pots won't cut it.

But I thoroughly enjoy my wheels and don't really want to go to 18's.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
my opinion if you upgrade your booster/ mc to vt-vy than you can fit any brake upgrade
i did the ve upgrade 321mm rda kit they were ok but when i upgraded to a vt/vy booster/mc it just made them so much better and the best part if i need to change caliper brands 2 or more pots or model (vt-vy) they will all work

H

harrop.senator

Yeah I've done the booster and master set up before I also need to do it in my senator. The c4's need more pressure quicker.

I just feel like I have a 1000 things to do on the car and wouldn't mind just bolting some on.

But now I'm super worried about the cost of having to change wheels.

I have a set of 18's I can get blasted. But I honestly don't like 90% of Holden fitment rims and 5% of the ones I do are Chinese.

After running Chinese 18" rims and stiff suspension they're really buckle and split prone.

If anyone in Perth has the bolt on sniper kit can you inbox me? I'd love to come try fit one of my wheels over them haha.

H

harrop.senator

Eeek yeah I've seen some of his builds. I'm wanting 16's lol , they just clear my 328's and corvette c4's on the senator.

I'm talking a couple of mm's.

The senators sitting on some Australian 18x8.5/9.5 rohs that need sandblasting that I can use.

But I've had some really rare 3 piece enkeis for ages I've almost finished and was hoping to run those.

H

harrop.senator

Like 16's aren't supposed to clear c4's and 328's they were listed as 17+ but these do just scrape by.

I think by sounds of it I'll get it running , see how much I hate the brakes on it and see what's more important to me.

Running the wheels or not playing with the master and booster.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If you don't do the brakes at least go for Remsa or Ceramic pads. I once owned VZ R8 and prior to that a VT Clubsport, both had 4 pot callipers. The VT had Remsa pads and the VZ were standard. The difference was noticable. The ceramic are quite a bit dearer but a lot cleaner.

H

harrop.senator

Yeah fair call it's been that long since I had a single pot commodore all I can remember is huge initial bite but fade extremely quickly haha.