Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what cam and chip for vs clubsport

962_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VS Clubsport Manuel
Hey guys....just tossing up on how to spend about 4k on my vs clubsport. its manuel with 4:11 gears and an exhaust but just stock extractors. engine is completely stock but i wanna change that. I'm thinking a stage 3 crow cam n chip package, would i need to shave heads or port it at all with this kinda mods? I want something that sounds lumpy n tuff, and also a bit more power would be awesome too. any one else done these sorta mods??
any imput would be good......cheers

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
id say get some extensive headwork bump the comp up to the high tens then get a cam to match..
..... the motor is only as good as its heads.
you can have all the good internals but if ya heads dont support it - your going backwards!

962_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VS Clubsport Manuel
id say get some extensive headwork bump the comp up to the high tens then get a cam to match..
..... the motor is only as good as its heads.
you can have all the good internals but if ya heads dont support it - your going backwards!

you wouldnt happen to know anywhere round melbourne that would be any good to get the work done at?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
you wouldnt happen to know anywhere round melbourne that would be any good to get the work done at?
nah sorry bud im in bris! im sure there could be some boys on here who could point u in the right direction

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
No need to port the heads for a mild camshaft, injected heads flow pretty well in standard form. You really need to raise the compression to get the most out of an aftermarket cam though.
if youve got the heads off to get the comp up you may aswell give em a street port and then be able to run a cam with more lift and fit bigger valves! 6-12mths time he'll want more power and off come the heads out comes the cam.....its a fact of the automotive industry we're always chasing more power!
do it once do it right!
but as u said he wont need a port job for just a mild cam.... but i personally would
what are stock heads good for?? 400hp? what do the stock efi donks have at the fly from factory?

id get a new set of headers too mate

5ltrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Hey guys....just tossing up on how to spend about 4k on my vs clubsport. its manuel with 4:11 gears and an exhaust but just stock extractors. engine is completely stock but i wanna change that. I'm thinking a stage 3 crow cam n chip package, would i need to shave heads or port it at all with this kinda mods? I want something that sounds lumpy n tuff, and also a bit more power would be awesome too. any one else done these sorta mods??
any imput would be good......cheers

std heads will be fine, might aswell give them a touchup and a shave as mentioned, shave will raise the comp. crane 284 is about the limit for a stockie 5lt, they sound pretty decent. i got my cam with a tighter lsa, therefore more lump and boom :)

for 5k im doing the whole top end, cam/heads and tune. when that packs it in, its getting stroked.:smoking:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
if youve got the heads off to get the comp up you may aswell give em a street port and then be able to run a cam with more lift and fit bigger valves! 6-12mths time he'll want more power and off come the heads out comes the cam.....its a fact of the automotive industry we're always chasing more power!
do it once do it right!
but as u said he wont need a port job for just a mild cam.... but i personally would
what are stock heads good for?? 400hp? what do the stock efi donks have at the fly from factory?

id get a new set of headers too mate

Don't worry about what the heads flow, the banana manifold with hold the engine back long before the heads will. Absolutely no merit to porting the heads if the banana manifold is still being utilised.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Don't worry about what the heads flow, the banana manifold with hold the engine back long before the heads will. Absolutely no merit to porting the heads if the banana manifold is still being utilised.
ahh yes! the first of things to ditch! i forgot about that as im used to lookin at the TP s/plane sitting on mine!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
There is an entire thread dedicated to this topic in the V8 section......