Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what Cam are u running in a buick!!!

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
hey guys, what cam are u guys running!! I will run better springs too, i got vy injectors and a v8 aeroflow pump so runs smooth, healthy motor, cai, extractors, want good power, sweet sounding but still good enough to drive as a daily, preferably no tuning!! Let me know what u guy recommend!!! Vr manual v6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mace sell cam and chip package to suit Buick. It's not stroker is it? As that might mean a different tune than what they keep in stock.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be sure to order new chain and timing gears. New cam might cause chain to rattle if original one still fitted. Good time to disconnect balance shaft too, in case it starts to rattle down the track.

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
Be sure to order new chain and timing gears. New cam might cause chain to rattle if original one still fitted. Good time to disconnect balance shaft too, in case it starts to rattle down the track.
Yeah sweet, just a new oem chian will do or do i have to upgrade? Also I got a guy who tunes memcals so he can tune it i guess

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stock cam = no tune. Cam it, tune it....

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Stock cam = no tune. Cam it, tune it....

This.

At a minimum new lifters and double row timing chain to go with the cam as well, don't reuse the old stuff.

Pretty much anything other than a stockish cam will need a tune or it will run like a turd or not at all.

Budget $2k at least when you factor in tuning, gaskets, lifters, timing chain, cam etc. More if your paying someone for the labour, make sure the guy who "does memcals" is an actual tuner not just a bloke that writes performance tunes he found online to a memcal like a lot of them do, you need to tune the car to suit that specific cam, not a general tune.

Also be warned, cams do very very little for power on stock Buicks, from past experience your going to sink a lot of money in for not much gain (we're talking like maybe 8-10rwkw)

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This.

At a minimum new lifters and double row timing chain to go with the cam as well, don't reuse the old stuff.

Pretty much anything other than a stockish cam will need a tune or it will run like a turd or not at all.

Budget $2k at least when you factor in tuning, gaskets, lifters, timing chain, cam etc. More if your paying someone for the labour, make sure the guy who "does memcals" is an actual tuner not just a bloke that writes performance tunes he found online to a memcal like a lot of them do, you need to tune the car to suit that specific cam, not a general tune.

Also be warned, cams do very very little for power on stock Buicks, from past experience your going to sink a lot of money in for not much gain (we're talking like maybe 8-10rwkw)
What sort of gains are we talking? I only Mace rockers and some basic bolt on's and I picked up 30kw and a fair amount of torque. Surely a cam would give better than the 15-16kw, I estimate my rockers provided.

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
This.

A cam will add more then 8-10 kw sorry man, a mace chip adds 8-12kw which i assume u accidentally wrote cam instead of chip haha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With a cam, tune, and decent exhaust you should get at least 140kw at the wheels. Bit more with CAI. Yours being a manual will help with the RWKW, compared to my bus. What figures are you chasing? Also what torque figures are you chasing?

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
With a cam, tune, and decent exhaust you should get at least 140kw at the wheels. Bit more with CAI. Yours being a manual will help with the RWKW, compared to my bus. What figures are you chasing? Also what torque figures are you chasing?
Im more so just wanting a nice sounding car and power to smash a sv6 to be completely honest, and i feel like 1k for a crow cam package compared to camming a 5L ill make more power with a 6