Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What causes the ABS system to engage my brakes and slow the car down ?

Aussiestyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 94
i took the abs fuse out so it would not engage the rear brakes it feels like the handbrake is on but it not that as i took the abs fuse out and drives like it should and is it safe to drive with the abs off?

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
i thought abs reduces the transfer of the brake fluid to a brake caliper with valves so not sure how it could apply brakes. these days there is brake assist which applies brakes for you but if we are talking about your vr then it won't have that. disabling the abs will make it the same as a model that doesn't have abs but i doubt it will go through an inspection, over here that would fail our 6 monthly warrant of fitness. i would look at your handbrake and make sure it isn't jamming on, i would say it has to be something other than your abs.

Aussiestyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 94
if i put the fuse back in it drives like the brakes are on its weird i have completly loosened the handbrake cable so it cant be that would it ?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sounds like you have a sticking caliper piston or slide. A caliper overhaul should fix it.