Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Coolant are people using?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
G’day all,
Sorry for the thread dig but is the Acdelco Dex cool pre mix or concentrate?
https://acdelco.com.au/our-range/fluids-oils/dex-cool-coolant/
I’m pretty confident it’s concentrate but just want to confirm.
Thanks heaps!
The link you provide doesn’t explicitly state it’s a concentrate but it does mention mixing with water.

But if you click on the flyer within the right of that web page, that also doesn’t specifically state it’s a concentrate. However, the flyer does talk of mixing with distilled water and includes a section on mixing rations and the frost protection it provides. Oddly it states to avoid storage above 32C (WTF?, it’s a long life coolant :p)…

Interestingly, ACDelco DexCool 10-101 Extended Life Coolant, as sold on Amazon US, does specify it’s an orange concentrate.

In any case, the Aussie stuff in your link is @ 1040g/L of ethyl glycol which is very much a concentrate.

If you have any doubt, why not ring a Holden dealer who sells ACDelco DexCool and specifically ask them? they’d be able to clarify such along with their price :p

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
The link you provide doesn’t explicitly state it’s a concentrate but it does mention mixing with water.

But if you click on the flyer within the right of that web page, that also doesn’t specifically state it’s a concentrate. However, the flyer does talk of mixing with distilled water and includes a section on mixing rations and the frost protection it provides. Oddly it states to avoid storage above 32C (WTF?, it’s a long life coolant :p)…

Interestingly, ACDelco DexCool 10-101 Extended Life Coolant, as sold on Amazon US, does specify it’s an orange concentrate.

In any case, the Aussie stuff in your link is @ 1040g/L of ethyl glycol which is very much a concentrate.

If you have any doubt, why not ring a Holden dealer who sells ACDelco DexCool and specifically ask them? they’d be able to clarify such along with their price :p
They don't supply pre mixed!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i am pretty sure that unless the product has "premix" listed on it then it is not a premix and requires a 50/50 dilution with demineralized water

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
They don't supply pre mixed!
Poor way of documenting a product when a buyer is confused exactly what it is. Much easier to simply add the text ”concentrate” which then clarifies the product and avoids confusion.

Really, some companies simply seem to have no idea and expect product knowledge to spread by osmosis which is a fcuked way of doing things :p

But it’s GM/ACDelco after all so not surprised :rolleyes:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Poor way of documenting a product when a buyer is confused exactly what it is. Much easier to simply add the text ”concentrate” which then clarifies the product and avoids confusion.

Really, some companies simply seem to have no idea and expect product knowledge to spread by osmosis which is a fcuked way of doing things :p

But it’s GM/ACDelco after all so not surprised :rolleyes:
I think it's pretty clear. On the front of the 5l & 20l (only ones I've seen) they say 1040g/L ethylene glycol.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
i am pretty sure that unless the product has "premix" listed on it then it is not a premix and requires a 50/50 dilution with demineralized water
Doesn’t have to be 50/50… Could be 60/40, 40/60 or whatever ratio one wants to gain the antifreeze protection one desires…

I think it's pretty clear. On the front of the 5l & 20l (only ones I've seen) they say 1040g/L ethylene glycol.
I might know that 1040g/L is a concentrate, you might know as we, but others may not… Simply isn’t a great way to describe a product…

And it’s not rocket science for ACDelco to have added one more word, either CONCENTRATE or PREMIX, to the packaging and the product description flyer thus avoiding this very confusion.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Doesn’t have to be 50/50… Could be 60/40, 40/60 or whatever ratio one wants to gain the antifreeze protection one desires…

I might know that 1040g/L is a concentrate, you might know as we, but others may not… Simply isn’t a great way to describe a product…

And it’s not rocket science for ACDelco to have added one more word, either CONCENTRATE or PREMIX, to the packaging and the product description flyer thus avoiding this very confusion.
Perhaps but I dont think the average non-trade consumer is the acdelco target market it seems.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Perhaps but I dont think the average non-trade consumer is the acdelco target market it seems.
Yeah, probably, but the US coolant container clearly specifies concentrate.

So thats even more annoying down under as GM/Holden requires coolant meet their proprietary standards and then ACDelco prefer to sell these fluids using poorly defined terminology so only those in the trade know how to use them. Way to go :rolleyes: It’s almost as if we are being shuttered from servicing our own cars :mad: