Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yes, I definitely hate you!
Thanks! :cool:

Greased up the threads on the jackscrews and installed them in the base.
Found my elcheapo spirit level and basically had it sorta level in the X and Y axis in 10 minutes.
2024-05-15 16.49.35.jpg

2024-05-15 16.54.52.jpg

Thought I'd better do the job properly, so I broke out the 'precision machine level'...
The most sensitive and frustrating tool I've ever used...
Every time you touch it, the bubble requires a couple of minutes to settle down.
It took hours, it was dark when I finished. Used 3 knuckle bars with 12mm sockets, one at each rear corner, but as I only had one thin-walled long socket I had to use that on the front jackscrews.
Used my boots to tweak the knuckle bars so I could watch the bubble.

2024-05-15 17.15.10.jpg

Got the Y axis pretty well spot on.

2024-05-15 17.15.49.jpg

The X axis ended up 0.04mm/m low on the left end of the bed, should help the coolant drain out of the drain line...
Not the sort of job I'd like to do for a living...

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Love that precision level… just wish carpenters used something more accurate that the crap levels that get tossed around with zero care.

Why, because I‘ve seen a few walls that are vertically out by around 4cm over 2.7m which just seems rather poor workmanship to me though I don’t know what the industry standards acceptable tolerances are; probably shite :eek:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Love that precision level… just wish carpenters used something more accurate that the crap levels that get tossed around with zero care.

Why, because I‘ve seen a few walls that are vertically out by around 4cm over 2.7m which just seems rather poor workmanship to me though I don’t know what the industry standards acceptable tolerances are; probably shite :eek:
Most of the studs are harvested from the 'Twisted Pine Forest'. :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Most of the studs are harvested from the 'Twisted Pine Forest'. :cool:
Which matches the training chippies get from the twisted school of power tool users ? :p:p:p

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My new set up is slowly coming along.

Got a cabinet up under the shelf above the workbench. Love it. Found a spot for my mini compressor. I’ve found that little thing really good for cleaning in the house and small jobs that need a bit of air quickly.

IMG_6712.jpeg

Cut some 40mm tube up like this. Holes drilled and through the shelf support too.

IMG_6711.jpeg

It’s the perfect space for it.

IMG_6709.jpeg

IMG_6710.jpeg

I am really cramped for space, so every bit counts. I might make an air line along the shelving that can be connected up to either compressor and have outlets at each end and one above the bench.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It really has been hard because every garage is a slow evolution. When scrapped everything before and started a freshhhhh I didn’t realise it wasn’t all going to just work out.

Super undervalued the exercise. Takes heaps of staring at the spaces to figure it all out. Like making things for the car. Lots of staring and thinking. Loving how it’s coming along though and don’t regret doing it.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
It really has been hard because every garage is a slow evolution. When scrapped everything before and started a freshhhhh I didn’t realise it wasn’t all going to just work out.

Super undervalued the exercise. Takes heaps of staring at the spaces to figure it all out. Like making things for the car. Lots of staring and thinking. Loving how it’s coming along though and don’t regret doing it.
haha.... 30 years of evolution here !

Attachments

• 20230611_085505_s.jpg
    20230611_085505_s.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 9

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride