Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I recall letting my campervan registration lapse when they stopped issuing rego stickers and then had to take it to VicRoads to have it inspected where they then sent me to a local mechanic who re-stamped a new chassis number on the draw bar/A frame or whatever. What a pain in the arse that was.
Lesson:- Don’t let the rego expire on a caravan or trailer!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I think it came into effect within the last 5yrs in SA. We used to share workshop yard with a trailer builder, & I remember there being a rush on a number of builds to get them done to be complianced by x date.

Our car trailer is older than its stamp I think, but we purchased it complied and registered and that's all we cared about.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Went through this sort of **** when states adopted NEVDIS and 17 digit VINs became the requirement. The idiots completely ignored previously approved privately imported vehicles which the federal government allowed to be imported and also provided a non 17 digit VIN while required a compliance plate be made by a specified business and then attached to the vehicle… Then post the NEVDIS shitfuckery, I had issues to reregister my vehicle after letting the rego lapse. Was sorted without cost by a PITA.

Sad… and wrong… A couple people get their trailer pinched and we now see govco retrospectively apply newer rules to older vehicle, again… probably for profits of their mates (business).

Really, if the issue is simply the difficulty of identifying trailers that are stolen, then the state should be stamping a home made trailer VIN to these trailers, themselves via a mandatory requirement to present the trailer to rego office at next registration…. Not having the owner take it to a trailer business who then may bring up shite about GTM deficiencies or other deficiencies in design based on modern rules and expect $$$ to rectify it.…

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
First time actually using the hoist today. Turns out the shackle bushes were just rubber and fairly worn and unlikely to pass. Had to cut one bolt into three pieces to extract it. The other snapped but was able to be wound out. Both bearings look ok but one was a bit tight. Repacked one but damaged a seal on one trying to get it out cowboy style, using a screwdriver as lever, the little spring ring got damaged.

Took no chances with the second one and went straight for the press.
I had some plastic shackle bushes on hand so that was good. I need to buy bolts but they are same street as work. The seal I will need to go to Bearings Tas, which is a bit out of my way along an extremely busy road back to Town. Going to need to leave work early as Bearings Tas shut at 5.00.

I can say this much the hoist makes the job so much more pleasant than sitting on the ground. Trying to do all this on the ground would have been less than easy.

trailer .jpg

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sad… and wrong… A couple people get their trailer pinched and we now see govco retrospectively apply newer rules to older vehicle, again… probably for profits of their mates (business).

Really, if the issue is simply the difficulty of identifying trailers that are stolen, then the state should be stamping a home made trailer VIN to these trailers, themselves via a mandatory requirement to present the trailer to rego office at next registration…. Not having the owner take it to a trailer business who then may bring up shite about GTM deficiencies or other deficiencies in design based on modern rules and expect $$$ to rectify it.…

The gov't is rectifying the problem that cropped up, with trailers being stolen and re birthed....They introduced VIN numbers having to be stamped onto trailers, when the rego lapsed.....They could still do the same when the rego was due for renewal to help prevent the re-birthing of trailers...And this is why @losh1971 has to go through the crap he has to, to transfer the rego...

So for once the gov't is actually thinking of the poor bastard/s that have had their trailer knicked, or the possibility of it being knicked.... :rolleyes:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
F564CF02-7696-435F-BE15-B9A0B2AAE3A7.jpeg

Finally built my little detailing creeper seat that’s been sitting around since the kids gave it to me for my birthday.

Its pretty comfy, has a wide seat, many little pocket things and zooms around pretty smooth. I am not unhappy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm gonna see if SCA still has those. They look neat.
I finally almost finished the trailer tonight. Was able to hitch a lift with the wife into Town today as I was off work due a cold, nope not Covid, already had that 8 months ago.
Had to replace two shackle bolts, and a bearing seal, which I had to buy.
I've made it better than before as I think the old bolts were just mild steel and probably 12mm. I replaced them with hi tensile 9/16s with nylock nuts, plus some washers on each side of the spring eye to pack it out.
All I need now is reflectors, which I have and to try and leave work early enough to chat with the inspection station regarding what to do about no chassis number.
But the trailer is off the hoist, so Black Thunder is back safely in the shed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So spoke to the inspection station today, and turns out they are no longer doing inspections. This means I now have to take the trailer to Town for its inspection. However, it's looking like I need a signed stat dec with something about the trailer on it, then I have to take it to the State inspection station to have it inspected again and a chassis number stamped on it. Then I can finally register it. I now probably need to go see My Car and find out if they know the proper process. Either way it's not straightforward transferring a trailer from interstate. Fortunately I have it pretty much ready for it's first inspection. I may however get knocked back as one chassis rail has a bit of rust.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Can you plate it while you wait - should be an easy job with that new hoist of yours!

Reactions: Lex