Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can you plate it while you wait - should be an easy job with that new hoist of yours!
It likely won't get a plate, it will just get a chassis number stamped on it. The chassis number needs to be assigned by DOT so no go.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
It likely won't get a plate, it will just get a chassis number stamped on it. The chassis number needs to be assigned by DOT so no go.
Sorry mate - was referring to the rust in the chassis rail ;)

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sorry mate - was referring to the rust in the chassis rail ;)
Yeah, I will get it done on the hoist if it needs it. It's a lot of mucking around and I can't weld so I'd be calling on my pastor to come around a second time for 2-3 hours. Plus I'd need to get a piece of 2mm flat folded to sit over the rail. It's a lot of work and basically the only thing I can do to help is to raise it in the air. I'm hoping it passes without welding up the front chassis rail.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeah, I will get it done on the hoist if it needs it. It's a lot of mucking around and I can't weld so I'd be calling on my pastor to come around a second time for 2-3 hours. Plus I'd need to get a piece of 2mm flat folded to sit over the rail. It's a lot of work and basically the only thing I can do to help is to raise it in the air. I'm hoping it passes without welding up the front chassis rail.
While he is there, if he's handy with a welder, get him to weld(just a weld bead) an ID number on the chassis rail, unless you can borrow a set of letter/number punches.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
While he is there, if he's handy with a welder, get him to weld(just a weld bead) an ID number on the chassis rail, unless you can borrow a set of letter/number punches.
You have to be allocated a number. You cant just make one up or it's a fail regardless.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hoping I am finally getting somewhere with the trailer inspection. Kmart no longer do trailers but have suggested I try Midas. If I can find time tomorrow I will slip down. I arrived there too late today, just after 5.00. So it will be a lunchtime thing if I can get there. Good thing is they are waking distance from work.

Kmart did say having a plate of sorts will make it less of a hassle, as without it would have been too difficult for DOT to trace it's origins, which is part of the process. One thing is for sure I never realised just how hard it was going to be to change over trailer rego. This week has been a real eye opener.

I think the thing that makes it hard is everything is now on a national database. 25 or so years ago each state sorted it out and info sharing was far less than today it would seem, joys of the internet.... hahahahaha

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hoping I am finally getting somewhere with the trailer inspection. Kmart no longer do trailers but have suggested I try Midas. If I can find time tomorrow I will slip down. I arrived there too late today, just after 5.00. So it will be a lunchtime thing if I can get there. Good thing is they are waking distance from work.

Kmart did say having a plate of sorts will make it less of a hassle, as without it would have been too difficult for DOT to trace it's origins, which is part of the process. One thing is for sure I never realised just how hard it was going to be to change over trailer rego. This week has been a real eye opener.

I think the thing that makes it hard is everything is now on a national database. 25 or so years ago each state sorted it out and info sharing was far less than today it would seem, joys of the internet.... hahahahaha

The sharing of info has come about due to people ripping stuff like cars and trailers off from interstate and re-birthing them in another state....So as much as a PITA it is, it does add some sort of protection against re-birthing....:)

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I'd like to say I'm happy you got a hoist & it's working BUT do feel hoist envy...especially next time I'm laying on cold concrete underneath a car lol
I have a hoist, and yet I was laying on the cold wet concrete under a car again last night :mad:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The sharing of info has come about due to people ripping stuff like cars and trailers off from interstate and re-birthing them in another state....So as much as a PITA it is, it does add some sort of protection against re-birthing....:)
Yeah I get why they have had to do it and it is what it is. Had I known it was going to be this hard I would have started the process a bit sooner. I will likely need a day off work just to get it to the State Inspection Station and I'm running out of leave as I've already got some booked but I'm away on those dates. I have had plenty of time off over the last month and had I known the things I needed to do I would have done it a couple of weeks ago. It's still better than waiting another six weeks when the SA rego runs out.

And not knowing what it needs to pass, is playing on my mind.