Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Even between different engine series there's different grades and strength bolts used by Gm particularly the conrod bolts,flex plate and the head bolts most noticeably had varied over the years but off market brands like nason bring a new level of low quality now available easy and cheap!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Even between different engine series there's different grades and strength bolts used by Gm particularly the conrod bolts,flex plate and the head bolts most noticeably had varied over the years but off market brands like nason bring a new level of low quality now available easy and cheap!

I'd be interested to hear more opinions on this. Not saying you wrong but I cant't understand why a business has been around for over 20 years and is using Nason products on his builds and must have had come backs since the gear is so cheap and nasty that his 500hp builds must be blowing up and he still keeps using the same brand, regardless, seems odd to me??

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
I was just using factory bolts over torqued 1/2 turn or so to help clamp em down and they held fine but needing to swap another piston and in need of parts without waiting I over paid for some head gaskets and nason bolts from repco the bolts started to yield jut before torque spec and I definately could not at that point obtain any mor clamp down so I pulled them out they were clearly twisted and longer than factory old bolts and nearly 2mm longer than when they went in so arp studs went in instead they clamp and are reusable

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The Buick head bolts don't get as much torque as some others need to have. Hopefully they will be ok. I can possibly return them as I got them from Repco. I'd just have to check and see if they were special order.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
I've seen several recently built ls's ,v6s boxers even diesels all weaping head gaskets they are still running but leaking when they shouldn't,in recent years parts quality seems to be dropping in some areas of the industry ,there is a difference doing it and doing it well! and let's see those nason lifters compared to oem after 100,000km in combination with a low grade oil change every 10,000km or so they will look worse than oem out of an ex taxi with 500,000km on it

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
For standard usage they do the job just hit the gaskets with some DuPont copper gasket spray or hylomar even if gasket says don't it does help the graphite Bond,but if the old bolts aren't rusted or stretched I'd use them still probably better than new nason

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just went and seen the engine machinist next door and they use Nason bolts and lifters all the time and no come backs. I should be fine. You have me second guessing. Now I'm starting to think I shouldn't even try doing the job myself, in case something goes wrong. You have me thinking about it too much and now I'm leaning towards booking it in and spending an extra 400 - 500 bucks in labor, in case I mess it up......

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Sorry to sound biased against nason I just don't like using less than standard , admittedly I haven't done a full rebuild on a Buick since 2017 Ive seen a couple of other engines since then but principle still there, I often try to warn and inform as many as I can to do your own testing and not believe the salesperson with just about anything!

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
It's a basic job just keep it clean and take your time even if u stuffed a gasket by dropping the head on it for example it's still cheaper to get another one and do it yourself plenty of people on here to help ,they are a verry simple engine with very few parts and prefect to train on because of cast iron being pretty easy going with coarse threads ect compared to some and $500 is $500

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Bit of a tip to prime the lifters just leave rockers off and plugs out and fuel pump relay so can crank it over without killing battery and it will spin faster to prime the oil quicker there's other ways to prime em but that's the easiest