Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Got the ute running today with mace l67 tune and 850cc injectors I had to go back to 1:1 fuel reg and I'm now using staged fuel pumps the twin in tank pumps run constantly and the twin 044 come on with boost, so much quieter now off boost ive lost about 50hp but hope to get it back on the dyno as duty cycle is too wide to run a higher base pressure but it's safely rich on boost still yet to fit the new gtx35/82r .106 though so might just put about till it's fitted then tune it further

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've replaced a three heads over my lifetime, two 4 cyl and 1 straight 6. Trouble is more I talk to people about it, the more I get told what potentially could go wrong, and it makes me think **** that....

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
I understand what you mean, how did you go on the other ones? as you have done it before and there's no timing to deal with you will probably find it straight forward maybe the odd tight bolt ect and it's often good practice to send the heads off but it's worth cleaning and checking to see if warped or cracked by eye and straight edge they are pretty tough

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Been thinking about trying the mace bolts as an alternative to other brands I'm interested to know if they are like nason or better or same or freak strong cheapies I've got 2 l36 builds and an Ls lifter swap and head port to do so might test dummy an Ecotec with em

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I understand what you mean, how did you go on the other ones? as you have done it before and there's no timing to deal with you will probably find it straight forward maybe the odd tight bolt ect and it's often good practice to send the heads off but it's worth cleaning and checking to see if warped or cracked by eye and straight edge they are pretty tough

Fine with the others, although the Ford grey top leaked two years later. Warped block on that, which I was told doesn't happen. I thought my level must have been warped and the block must have been fine, even though I had a gap in the centre. Should have just paid for a Tickford instead of rebuilding the POS, grey top....

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I just went and seen the engine machinist next door and they use Nason bolts and lifters all the time and no come backs. I should be fine. You have me second guessing. Now I'm starting to think I shouldn't even try doing the job myself, in case something goes wrong. You have me thinking about it too much and now I'm leaning towards booking it in and spending an extra 400 - 500 bucks in labor, in case I mess it up......

I've replaced a three heads over my lifetime, two 4 cyl and 1 straight 6. Trouble is more I talk to people about it, the more I get told what potentially could go wrong, and it makes me think **** that....

You'll be right Losh, don't second guess yourself mate
I've read enough of your posts over the years to know that you aren't a numpty with no idea, you only ask the questions required to further your own knowledge and make sure you do the job properly the first time

I'm not going to start a for or against Nason products in this thread, but all I can add from my own experience is that I've used plenty of their products when I was on the tools earning a crust, and now I've sold probably more than 4 times the amount I used now I'm off the tools earning a crust and I can honestly say that I've never had any comebacks from customers in over 20 years

You even mentioned your machine shop next door to work has done 1,000's of engines exclusively using Nason products, if that doesn't go along way to backing up the quality of their product, I don't know what will

At the risk of sounding like a bit of a dick, opinions are like arseholes, every body has one, and I most certainly understand that some people may not like a certain brand/product whilst other people will give it rave reviews...................How bloody boring would the world or the forum be if everybody had the same opinion

At the end of the day I suggest that you use what you feel comfortable with using and don't sweat the good/bad that you've read online

As I posted earlier on in this thread, I'm going to use the Nason RHT2148 lifters in my LS1 to keep the old girl mobile until I do my heads and cam upgrade in the very near future

Smash the job out mate and then you can enjoy the fruits of your labour :cool:

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Too true, I've fitted probably over 100 sets of nason bolts and on a standard application they do the job just! but my advice still stands they do not clamp down as hard as standard oem bolts they are made from a lower grade stock.i must admit I don't get complaints from customers about their head bolts i mean how many people driving their cars know the exact state of their head bolts and gaskets ? How many customers see nearly 1000 engines a year? typically the leaks I've seen attributed to nason bolts are minor but I've seen a few hydraulic locked too,I can think of at least a dozen known still driving with minor leaks ,Subaru are real bad with nason bolts as is Nissan qr25 even had a mate here yesterday he just rebuilt his ls1 now with oil seeping out around the heads he won't get nason next time, to be honest I'm pretty sure a lot of mechanic's or engine builders wouldn't notice the difference or care for that matter if they were readily available,cheap and do the job

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
New nason bolts stretch but 20 year old Gm ones don't! you figure it out ute 042

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
What do u think happens to a head with studs or l19 bolts,it gets pulled down harder than factory much harder, so a simple cheap way to get more boost holding ability with an un opened engine is to re torque and over torque the head bolts but u can not do that with nason , I over torqued my Ecotec to run over 20 psi with oem bolts and cheap graphite gaskets, using studs i over torqued the head on my old r31 it made a bit of power just shy of 700kw single cam! And my vl rb25/30 with l19s it's way over torqued because at 400rwkw I'm at the limit of the mls decomp gasket both aluminium heads are fine