Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Past few days have been teaching a mates son how to drive a manual in the old VS ute (only just got his L's and i've had time off work)
Explained the whole "spoon in a bowl of custard" gearbox being awesome to learn where gears are.
Showed him its possible to straight shift 1-3 if you hold it far enough right haha.
He's started to realise that there is actually a fair bit to driving with multiple things to focus on and consider and that we all make it look very easy ni comparison.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Past few days have been teaching a mates son how to drive a manual in the old VS ute (only just got his L's and i've had time off work)
Explained the whole "spoon in a bowl of custard" gearbox being awesome to learn where gears are.
Showed him its possible to straight shift 1-3 if you hold it far enough right haha.
He's started to realise that there is actually a fair bit to driving with multiple things to focus on and consider and that we all make it look very easy ni comparison.

Teaching someone to drive is an experience in itself let alone teaching them to drive a manual.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Did a nice 300km round trip to Goulburn and back to visit my daughter for an early lunch today.

On the run my ODO hit 130k, which means oil change, I do it every 5k km, running it ofthe ODO is fool proof, and I'm your typical fool.

I run it with the flush for 10 minutes then pulled the filter, drained the old Castrol Edge 10w 60 and replaced it with Castrol Edge 5w40, which I got on special at Supercheap.

Now, the engine seems to run quiter with the 5w40 than it did with the 10w60

And after 5k km my new AOS collected about 30ml of oily crankcase snot, proof of concept is the intake tract is as clean as it was from when I initially cleaned out the intake with intake cleaner spray stuff when I first fitted the AOS.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Playing with the noise of the LS1

Ages ago I deleted the rear box on my Pacemaker dual 2.5"....... it sounded good everywhere, but droned like 10 droning things, so I put the rear box back on, then....
I removed the middle mufflers to see if I like that,......it sounded good at idle, but, it sounded like 2 thongs slapping really fast at high RPM, so.........

Today the car had a Sureflo 3.5" single plumbed in, with a 3.5" resonator in the middle and a 3.5" straight through muffler in the rear.

It's louder and deeper than the Pacemaker before I started chopping it up, but not heatseaker loud

Sounds good at idle with the cam, a real nice deep loping idle

Sounds good at high RPM, no slapping thongs, just a nice deep guttural roar

And no real drone, actually, it drones less than the Pacemaker did before I started cutting it up, which will keep the Minister for war and finances happy on long drives

And if you are interested in exhaust tips...look elsewhere, this just has 3.5" stainless pipe pointing out the back, centred perfectly, and tucked up nice and high.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yesterday I pulled the back seat out of the Monaro to conduct a scientific survey deep within the secret laboratory in my garage.
One side I have generously massaged into the leather some of @Fu Manchu's recommended Palmer's Coconut Oil lotion ..... smells wonderful. :)
The other side I have used my old favourite, Oakwood Leather Treatment.
Then covered the lot with an old sheet to deter spies, flies and dust.
Going to leave it like that for a few days, and use my digital sensors to compare the result.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Upgraded to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S at "Plus zero" size each corner.

The original Bridgestone Potenza RE050A rears lasted 21,769 km and were almost legal at 3mm, depending where you measured them. The fronts still had 5mm.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 98
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 94

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Gave the Motorsport interior a quick clean today, third time in as many years :p
Next one will have to be a proper interior detail :cool:

That new car (VOC) smell is starting to fade away :eek: maybe it'll be replaced with Palmer's Coconut Oil smell when i detail next :p

Also thinking of a catch can after reading this and watching the video within/below:

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yesterday I pulled the back seat out of the Monaro to conduct a scientific survey deep within the secret laboratory in my garage.
One side I have generously massaged into the leather some of @Fu Manchu's recommended Palmer's Coconut Oil lotion ..... smells wonderful. :)
The other side I have used my old favourite, Oakwood Leather Treatment.
Then covered the lot with an old sheet to deter spies, flies and dust.
Going to leave it like that for a few days, and use my digital sensors to compare the result.

Update, but first a bit of history.

The car was bought new in June 2004, and used it as a daily for just over 4 years, racking up nearly 90Km. The parking choice at work was under trees which left it covered it with leaves, sap and birdsh, or unprotected in the sun. I chose in the sun, ands used sunshields as best I could.
At one stage, I used a well known brand of auto leather conditioner, in accordance with instructions, which left the black leather covered in white residue. And that took a lot of elbow grease to remove.
Then the stitching on the top of the back seat split. As it was still under warranty, I referred the problem to the selling dealer, who referred me to the servicing dealer, who referred me to Holden Customer Service Direct, who sent a ‘manager’ to look at the problem.
And he said ‘Nuh’. But, they did have replacement covers in stock for only $731 per side. :oops:

Not long after that, I started a new job with a business which also employed two very competent motor trimmers. Their opinion was, the leather was a crap ‘split’, and the stitching used could not have been UV tolerant. So, the covers were stripped from the seats, deconstructed past the affected areas, soaked with “Oakwood” for a few weeks until the leather was soft, and restitched very carefully using the same stitch holes.
End result, no evidence of the repair and $1,462 cheaper.
After that episode, I pull the seat out every 2 years and give it a good application.

Now, for my careful and considered survey ………

Oakwood >>. Defiantly labour intensive, greasy, and have to give it a good buff after a few days to take the shine off.
Still my pick for rejuvenating cardboard hard leather ............. if you have the time.

Palmers Coconut Oil >>. If the leather is in good condition, easy to apply, leaves a nice matt finish on the leather, smells enticing, and leaves the leather softer than before. My pick for quick and easy.
Good recommendation choice, @Fu Manchu. :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I finally got around to adjusting my rockers properly with my VC....4 of them were tapping a little, which was annoying....

It was a pain to do it, as I removed the rocker cover to do the adjustment, with the motor running.....To remove my rocker cover, I have to remove the water pump pulley, then remove the thermostat housing, as the front lip of the rocker cover is just under the housing, making it impossible to remove.... :mad:

So tomorrow's job is replace the tappet cover gasket, refill all the coolant and clean the motor down.....Then hopefully I can get the exhaust done in a couple of days and rego next week....

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Refitted the Monaro back seat.
For some reason I can't figure, every time I do this exercise, the seat gets more heavy, the door openings are not as wide, the front seats don't go as far forward, and the room in the back is smaller than it was 15 years ago.
Got me buggered why this is. :confused: