Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i had a new clutch, lifters, trunnion kit installed good as new again.(should have mentioned head service also)

Attachments

• VY.jpg
    VY.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My bonnet scoop finally arrived

Over the next couple of weeks there will be lots of trial fits and some hole saw action on the bonnet, I will not be touching the internal frame at all to keep some structural integrity

Fixtures will be some m5 motorcycle windsceen well nuts to fix it to the bonnet, some paint and then pinch weld will cover the sheet steel after the hole cutting to clean the look up a bit, the bonnet liner may need a trip to the trimmers to sew some edging around them

My plan is to give it some black paint and hope this lockdown **** is over soon so it can go in to my local paint joint for some real paint and get the whole bonnet colour matched

20210714_170229_resized.jpg

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Negative Lex

T'was inspiration for Sabbath and his awesome sized shed

Sadly my current shed doesn't lend itself to a hoist

I'm currently looking for a new property, my main need is at least a 2 car bay so I can finally get a lift

My Mrs keeps picking joints to look at with nice kitchens and a good location, and other unimportant stuff like that

My only concern is it has a shed like Sabbaths
@Ginger Beer & @Sabbath' I've been researching hoists and, as my upcoming Totalspan shed has 2.7M stud height, have concluded my only solution will be a 4-post hoist with sliding jacks. Which can be better in its own way. They don't need as thick a concrete base, or 3-phase power, and usually cost much less to buy, install, and service. Some can even be moved on casters when unloaded, no need to be bolted down! They can be purchased for lighter specification too e.g. 3600kg (passenger vehicle only?) for AU$3,500 inc. GST). https://tufflift.com.au/product/tlv3-6ph-s/

Want a bit stronger? HeroHoists in QLD lists these American Lift King 4.0T (tonne or ton?) moveable hoists for AUD$3,995 https://herohoistsqld.com.au/lift-king-9-hoist/ but has them as AUD$4,550 - out of stock on Gumtree and someone using same photo and similar name (hero_hoists_prestons_nsw) has them listed for $4,795 on ebay.au with 3 in stock. These appear to now be superceded in the USA by a later "XLT Premium" model with larger dimensions all round, to suit their bigger trucks and more expensive so might not be available once current stock is sold out.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
@Ginger Beer & @Sabbath' I've been researching hoists and, as my upcoming Totalspan shed has 2.7M stud height, have concluded my only solution will be a 4-post hoist with sliding jacks. Which can be better in its own way. They don't need as thick a concrete base, or 3-phase power, and usually cost much less to buy, install, and service. Some can even be moved on casters when unloaded, no need to be bolted down! They can be purchased for lighter specification too e.g. 3600kg (passenger vehicle only?) for AU$3,500 inc. GST). https://tufflift.com.au/product/tlv3-6ph-s/

Want a bit stronger? HeroHoists in QLD lists these American Lift King 4.0T (tonne or ton?) moveable hoists for AUD$3,995 https://herohoistsqld.com.au/lift-king-9-hoist/ but has them as AUD$4,550 - out of stock on Gumtree and someone using same photo and similar name (hero_hoists_prestons_nsw) has them listed for $4,795 on ebay.au with 3 in stock. These appear to now be superceded in the USA by a later "XLT Premium" model with larger dimensions all round, to suit their bigger trucks and more expensive so might not be available once current stock is sold out.
What's your roof peak at? Mine's fairly shallow and i wish i had gone higher as mine is 3.2 at the base but only raises to about 3.4m so i dont even have the roof space to tuck one up into. If i was going to make it work an open top, floor beam hoist would be the way to go but it would have to go right down the centre and be a pain.

The slab also has to have an area spec'd to accomodate it too.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
What's your roof peak at? Mine's fairly shallow and i wish i had gone higher as mine is 3.2 at the base but only raises to about 3.4m so i dont even have the roof space to tuck one up into. If i was going to make it work an open top, floor beam hoist would be the way to go but it would have to go right down the centre and be a pain.

The slab also has to have an area spec'd to accomodate it too.
My roof peak will be 3.5M (external) but I wouldn't get close to that height on a host. My point is that 4-post hoists don't need the 3M+ height or to be fixed in place on a extra thick pad that 2-post hoists require. None of the Tufflift 4-post hoists have to be bolted down like a 2-post hoist, check out their FAQ and Gallery pages. Personally, I wouldn't necessarily have to be raising a hoist to full height to work under my car(s) and aim to only have one car project on the go at a time in the 8x6 shed. I hope to have plenty of room to spread the ford around in when I take it apart. Having a hoist that can be pushed around in that space really appeals to me.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
My roof peak will be 3.5M (external) but I wouldn't get close to that height on a host. My point is that 4-post hoists don't need the 3M+ height or to be fixed in place on a extra thick pad that 2-post hoists require. None of the Tufflift 4-post hoists have to be bolted down like a 2-post hoist, check out their FAQ and Gallery pages. Personally, I wouldn't necessarily have to be raising a hoist to full height to work under my car(s) and aim to only have one car project on the go at a time in the 8x6 shed. I hope to have plenty of room to spread the ford around in when I take it apart. Having a hoist that can be pushed around in that space really appeals to me.
Have you ever worked on a 4 post hoist before? They're a serious pain in the arse to do things around the wheels/hubs/suspension. And you're going to have to plan where your jacking beams are if you're going to have it with the wheels off for a long time. Just something to keep in mind.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
As my fancy new OEM style underbonnet sound deadener is about 15-20mm thick, and doesn't sit tight against the frame everywhere it is being damaged by the blower
20210516_104012.thumb.jpg.cd37dbc5dd542535f3947e35ce2f8b23.jpg

So, "carbuilders" received some business
s-l400.jpg

There premium 5.5mm underbonnet stuff, I've seen some installed on a mates car and it excellent stuff, I'll use the OEM style one as a template to keep it looking ridgy didge

This should also help alot with neatness when I cut some (definitely 4, possibly 5)100mm diameter holes, for my VK style scoop, with my trust hole saw

I've already removed the old "carbuilder" foam which was originally under the OEM style underbonnet deadener to try and get clearance, which didn't work, the orange dots are definite holes, the blue is a maybe as it part of the frame
20201221_124903.thumb.jpg.e42ddf9a3c8516f17835e5a4c77a5a99.jpg.987b3f87a9d2b078e903dda644d782a...jpg

I'm not sure when it will arrive though, stupid Covid