Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Meh, they are cheap and easy to find, there is nothing special about a VX bonnet
Good idea to get one soon, before they get to expensive?

Also, always good for a spare.;)

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Exhaust on the SS got changed from being a twin 2.5 XForce to a twin 2.5 Manta (quiet). Still retaining the 4>1 Pacemakers.

Definitely is toned right down and is very quiet. Not raspy and tinny like it was, can definitely hear the deeper sound to it.

May change to the Medium down the track or add a cam as it may make it a bit louder, see what happens. (Although its supposed to be a daily, and the other car is the obnoxious vehicle)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Got bored at work, sooooo.......conducted some preliminaries to mad bogan chop chop

Centered the scoop, took some measurements and made some reference points

20210721_145746.thumb.jpg.3321adbfbbe052f5ee548eb8317779ca.jpg 20210721_145757.thumb.jpg.acd92f997067e9094991639988bf51f7.jpg 20210721_151258.thumb.jpg.8ba7d5e43acf4600c3fd089ef420f8f0.jpg

I'll get 5 x 110mm holes in easy, which is heaps of area, so it actually should do something, what will later be determend when it's fitted and I steal some wool from the Mrs knitting basket for some wool tufting at the opening of the scoop, it's either a inny or outy, hopefully a outy

Previous testing looks positive for an outy though

Also fitted the windcreen squirters to the wipers as the scoop covers the original ones in the bonnet, they work a treat and work way better that the ones on the bonnet, which was a win, I do need to get some small zip ties to tidy it up but that will be when I'm allowed out, unless I can find some at work

20210721_170921.thumb.jpg.6b93f1eaf01dcb59b24c136ee38b4bdd.jpg

For the meantime I'm waiting on some black vinyl wrap so I can cover the scoop until I can get the car to the paint shop, I'm also waiting for some 5mm well nuts to fit the scoop to the bonnet, I'm rolling with 3 a side, hopefully they turns up soon

The well nuts have a 1.5mm lip which will give the bonnet a "little" standoff to avoid the scoop craking, they are the things that motorcycle screens use, I tested "the look" with some blue tack squished down to 1.5mm and I think the gap should look fine as the scoop is really well made and the fit to the bonnet is excellent and without variations

Hopefully next week will be chop chop fitting done

Farkin chop chop

Reactions: Lex

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Took my sv8 out for a drive to go shopping...feels kinda quick & now get why people say it sounds loud & grumpy haha

Have not driven anything in 10 or so days & before that was super-quiet vp ute to get rego renewed few hours before we went it 5pm lockdown that day.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Got bored and found some 10mm whiteline spring bushes when I cleaned out the shed, so I spent a hour chucking them in

When I originally put in the new FE2 springs in, to stop the car from scapping everywhere, it still scrapped the exhaust tip when driving off the driveway with the kids in the back, so as I do, I bought them, then forgot I bought them

I just stacked them under the original ones, hopefully now the extra 10mm stops the exhaust tip scrapping when I drive off the driveway when the kids are in the back

Either way I got a little spanner therapy

20210725_162409.thumb.jpg.4fdc2d4f119983e10bb444384ef6cf79.jpg

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ref: my above post

I really should have researched what a 10mm lower rear bush spacer actually does

The 10mm spacer acually raises the rear by around 20mm, the geometry gods are laughing at me now, I do clear the driveway now, by alot

I'll pull it apart again and remove the thin spacer, which is about 6mm, this shoul lower it about 10mm, apparently.....

To get the correct rake back I've just ordered some front 6mm upper spacers that should add 10mm ride height to the front

Hopefully this should correct the rake, well, maybe.....????

I would prefer a bit more height at the front to help traction, worse case scenario is I get some 8mm spacers later down the track, maybe......????

Anyways, the bush spacers are cheap, and the rear is a cake walk, the front on the other takes twice as long

Meh, test and adjust, it's not I can do anything apart from working on the car anyway

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My plan to wrap the scoop, prior to being abled to get the scoop and bonnet professionally painted, hit a snag, my wrap delivery which "apparently" was delivered by courier today is MIA :mad:....So.......

I gave the bonnet scoop some 600 grit wet and dry in prep for some primer filler tomorrow

The scoop was pretty sweet from the manufacturer with only a few small imperfections that need addressing

I'll give it a coat of primer filler tomorrow, and sand it down on Saturday or Sunday, this should get it all nice and sweet for a coat or two satin black early next week

If all goes well the scoop should be able to get fitted sometime later in the week after the top coat has cured enough for bolting down

Drilling the mounting holes in the scoop was stressful, even with new dril bits, but now the 9.5mm holes accept the 6 x 5mm wellnuts perfectly