Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
For a garage, council approval, yes. For a carport, no. At least, l've never heard of a council building permit for a carport.

I've got a f#cked back too. I never let that stop me!
Do what you can, there's always tomorrow.
You have to have council approval here for a carport.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
ok.
Out of curiosity l'd ring the council & ask for fees for carport & a garage? Or have you already done this?
I haven’t enquired with the council about the specific fee costs involved but I know I need approval for the carport and a relaxation approval for building within six meters of the front boundary.

Reactions: Lex

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Where I'm at carport or open structures don't need council approval nether does garage if under 20m2 rule...anything bigger than yeah council bs applies.

Losh can't remember brand but there were some in 2.5-3k region mainly lightweight hoists that you could use extension cord to plug into power
point.

Cousin has lightweight 4 poster that comes on wheels can handle 2.5t or sit on end plates or even add dead bolts if desired.

Reactions: Lex

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
When we first moved into the current suburb no one was allowed to build carports, then there was a few big hail storms and a heap of cars were written off, now they're allowed with council approval

Also the only fences allowed were those stick style brush fences, until 2001, when a bush fire came thru and flying fire embers burnt alot down, which then proceeded to burn down houses because all of the fences that went up taking a few houses with them, now colour bond fences are approved for replacement

I swear to Jebus we are governed by muppets

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
[rant]
Yep, the problem in Australia is councils have outsourced too much. Now they expect you to go to their private mates who charge like wounded bulls, for **** all work, just to prepare an application for the build. And these private guys charge like wounded bulls for the build itself while the industry tries to “prescribe” more trades :(

Sadly the high build costs almost makes those council fees seem reasonable in comparison :oops:But these permit fees are exorbitant and more akin to extortion than serving the community. So I’m left feeling like I’m being served up as the meal to be consumed by both business and council. Leeches the lot of them:mad:

Heck these days, where I live you even need a permit for a decking in your back yard, for one that’s at ground level! WTF :mad:

Wouldn’t surprise me if in future we’ll need permits for installing a car hoist at home, along with requirements for yearly “safety“ inspections, check’s for SOP being displayed correctly, and other annoying requirements to dampen private desires for such things…. thus driving more work to registered workshops which are taxed…
[/rant]

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Council approval is required by my shire to build Lego let alone a carport.
sorry sir ur going to need some permits for this structure.... cant be obstructing views of the TV, must be at least 1m for any walls & high foot walk areas, must have fencing around the build site to keep under 5 yo out, permits must be re applied for if takes longer then 5 days to build...

b30b73525216a415020198c8052c3791.jpg

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
[rant]
Yep, the problem in Australia is councils have outsourced too much. Now they expect you to go to their private mates who charge like wounded bulls, for **** all work, just to prepare an application for the build. And these private guys charge like wounded bulls for the build itself while the industry tries to “prescribe” more trades :(

Sadly the high build costs almost makes those council fees seem reasonable in comparison :oops:But these permit fees are exorbitant and more akin to extortion than serving the community. So I’m left feeling like I’m being served up as the meal to be consumed by both business and council. Leeches the lot of them:mad:

Heck these days, where I live you even need a permit for a decking in your back yard, for one that’s at ground level! WTF :mad:

Wouldn’t surprise me if in future we’ll need permits for installing a car hoist at home, along with requirements for yearly “safety“ inspections, check’s for SOP being displayed correctly, and other annoying requirements to dampen private desires for such things…. thus driving more work to registered workshops which are taxed…
[/rant]
Part of the problem is the high level of regulation in Australia, which dictates using licenced trades for many trivial items around the house. These even include data cabling within your own house, isolated from the public network grrr.
I am chasing 3 trades at the moment to get insurance work done after the sewer line block in our area caused water to enter my house.
They submit big quotes, they don't call back, they don't turn up and the insurance company wants more and more details prior to work starting.

Now what did I do to my car today..........drove it to the supermarket.