Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can't remember exactly but old wives tale was rocks or nuts/bolts & diesel...shake it all about.Rinse/repeat.

Plenty of google tip what try from seppo's

Varnish don't come off that easily.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Varnish don't come off that easily.
Actually, isopropyl alcohol or better still ethanol (e85) will dissolve fuel varnish rather easily. But legal disposal of the dirty leftovers is always a pain...

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Can't remember exactly but old wives tale was rocks or nuts/bolts & diesel...shake it all about.Rinse/repeat.

Plenty of google tip what try from seppo's

Varnish don't come off that easily.

the tank is done, looking for ideas to flush the rest of the system - lines etc....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Guess you could hook up hoses inengine bay to bucket or something prime pump to flush out lines & see if any junk/rust is in there then when you get injectors serviced compressed air through fuel rail.

New filters & fresh fuel...kick it in the guts!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Guess you could hook up hoses inengine bay to bucket or something prime pump to flush out lines & see if any junk/rust is in there then when you get injectors serviced compressed air through fuel rail.

New filters & fresh fuel...kick it in the guts!

good plan. I only drove it in & out the shed & onto the hoist, but that's enough to get this crud everywhere.
what came out of the tank was beyond gross.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Yesterday. Cleaned the ute:

1. Cranked up the house AV 7.1 system to 70 volume with windows and door open, selected "random" on 2,000 track music library.
2. Marked bonnet protector bracket positions under bonnet with a sharpie. Removed bonnet protector, brackets, and 3M tape under brackets. Cleaned old 3M tape glue from bonnet with mineral turps.
3. Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam cannon. Rinsed out cannon and put water blaster away.
4. Microfibre Noodle Mit #1 & water washed. Chamoised dry.
5. Mineral turps spot cleaned tar, spider turds, & any other persistent little foreign bodies. Tooth picked insect corpses wedged in headlight edges, DRLs, etc.
6. Lunched
7. Dura-Seal Wash N Shined with Microfibre Noodle Mit #2 & water rinsed. Chamois Dried and Microfibre Cloth buffed. One panel at a time.
8. Applied Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating. One panel at a time.
9. Vacuumed interior.
10. Cleaned engine bay & under bonnet, mostly just dust and a few insect carcases.
11. Cut 6x new pieces of 3M tape, refitted brackets and (cleaned &polished) bonnet protector.

Total time 7 hours (excluding 1/2 off hour for lunch).

ute42nz-half.jpg

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Fitted the Forza FP2 pads in the rear to match the fronts I put in last week

Lots of brake clean, lots of sanding the DBA 2026S T2 discs with 800 grit, then lots of brake clean

Cleaned slides then covered them with Bendix blue brake lube, reinstalled everything and vacuum bled the brakes

So far the FP2 are out performing the QFM HPX that were in there previously

From talking to the brakes direct shop guy, the Forsa FP2 material is midway between the QFM A1RM and HPX, talking about pads I would put the Bendix Ultimates in the same performance category as the HPX, only 100x more dusty, I installed some Ultimates when I first got the car, they lasted about a month as the dust from them was that bad.

Anyways, the Forza have excellent initial cold bite, quite, minimal dust, and hold up well after a few high speed stops

After bedding them in I did 6 110 to 40 emergency stops on the hwy outside of town, one after another, no sign of fade, only a slight smell from the temp on the last stop, probably just the paint on the pads cooking off, although the paint really hasn't dirtied up yet and is still red.

Disc surface looks like it took a new coat of material well.

I'm really happy with these pads, they perform excellent cold on the street day to day, and should hold up well run after run at the strip.

Time will tell what effect they have on the discs in relation to wear, but meh, I'm happy for a little wear if it gives this performance.

In saying that, the HPX were extremely kind to the discs, had good initial cold bite as well, and low dust, they did give up a bit quicker than these new FP2 when pushed though

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Got Solar Tint to install 35% Black Envy Ceramic window tint

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Drove the ol' VS for the first time in quite a while.
Forgot how floaty and indirect it is, along with how you actually have to "drive" it to keep it moving. (Used to have so much fun driving it to be honest)
Become very used to the v8 when not driving the work car, so to hop back into the old VS was definitely a trip down memory lane.