Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My plan to wrap the scoop, prior to being abled to get the scoop and bonnet professionally painted, hit a snag, my wrap delivery which "apparently" was delivered by courier today is MIA :mad:....So.......

I gave the bonnet scoop some 600 grit wet and dry in prep for some primer filler tomorrow

The scoop was pretty sweet from the manufacturer with only a few small imperfections that need addressing

I'll give it a coat of primer filler tomorrow, and sand it down on Saturday or Sunday, this should get it all nice and sweet for a coat or two satin black early next week

If all goes well the scoop should be able to get fitted sometime later in the week after the top coat has cured enough for bolting down

Drilling the mounting holes in the scoop was stressful, even with new dril bits, but now the 9.5mm holes accept the 6 x 5mm wellnuts perfectly

When I drill holes into a panel, especially being wary of scratching paint, is put masking tape in the area and give it a very very light tap with a centre punch, once the tape is applied....This allows the centring of the drill bit and seems to prevent scratching the paint...

So something for the memory bank :)

Reactions: Lex

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
When I drill holes into a panel, especially being wary of scratching paint, is put masking tape in the area and give it a very very light tap with a centre punch, once the tape is applied....This allows the centring of the drill bit and seems to prevent scratching the paint...

So something for the memory bank :)

Ack on the tip, I'm a metal worker by trade, well, I was 35 years ago, so I'm all over sheet metal

My issue was I was drilling a 9.5mm hole thru 3mm fibreglass, about 5mm from the edge, I've found fibreglass is a bitch to drill in anything over 5mm, and the closer to an edge you are, the more likely you are to crack it

I went thru my drill set stepping up as I went, 3-5-8-9.5, only chipped the gel coat in one little spot, and no cracks, I concider that a win

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ack on the tip, I'm a metal worker by trade, well, I was 35 years ago, so I'm all over sheet metal

My issue was I was drilling a 9.5mm hole thru 3mm fibreglass, about 5mm from the edge, I've found fibreglass is a bitch to drill in anything over 5mm, and the closer to an edge you are, the more likely you are to crack it

I went thru my drill set stepping up as I went, 3-5-8-9.5, only chipped the gel coat in one little spot, and no cracks, I concider that a win

Yuk, drilling through fibreglass.....Considering you only had one little issue, a definate win...

Was unaware of your history, but thought I'd post up a tip anyways...

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
good tip for fibreglass I found is clamp it to a piece of wood and use your drilling technique you used for success

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Here's a 10mm drill ground for sheet metal. Center point is only just higher and the bit cuts from the outside in like a holesaw so it doesn't 'snatch' when it breaks through.

sheet-drill.jpg

Yes it's a little rusty and blunt - has been rattling around the "other drills" tray in my tool chest unused for 15 years.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Underside done.....good enough....
20210802_195754_resized.jpg

Tomorrow, when I'm spraying the top, will see how bad I really am with prep and rattle cans

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Top coat was average, meh, it will get professionally done once lockdown is done.

20210804_222224.thumb.jpg.a28ee174b839909b0a7557893f9635a5.jpg

I've laid some tape down on the bonnet and measured up all the points that are getting the scoop fixtures and spots for the holes, tomorrow is crunch day involving drills and hole saws

If I screw the pooch a used bonnet is only $100 and a new bonnet is only $200ish

#farkenjustsendit

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Chop chop

It has my black Harley touch up paint on the drill and holesaws.....holes.....and some pinch weld, so it is "all of the bogan"

Makes me smile

20210805_133205.thumb.jpg.d69d8a4fcceed8a27260d20632cde81b.jpg 20210805_134159.thumb.jpg.cbb097c966838dd874c4830c8e68413b.jpg 20210805_134434.thumb.jpg.d80c9e9565bd5f8bc43833ec67ee7dda.jpg

Waiting for a real matching paint jobbie

I'll cut some laps at work later and see if it is a inny or outy air flow for under the scoop

Time for some salmon and cheese toasties

Also need to put my new Carbuilder underbonnet liner on to clean it up underneath

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Nothing as dramatic as above, but replaced the yellow top for a new one. 8 years from a battery is impressive, these units are awesome

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Nothing as dramatic as above, but replaced the yellow top for a new one. 8 years from a battery is impressive, these units are awesome
Tested battery and is OK - still on the original battery from 2014. Is this unusual?