Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cheap gear works ok for me too. I only have a slight seep from the RC gaskets or heads now. I often prefer to use cheap Motortech brake cleaner it works well and no washing it off with water. I stand underneath and point the stream up each side of the rear of the engine and around the back of the sump. I grab 4 or 5 cans when Repco has it on special.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Ordered some oil to do a change on the supercharger (L67)
ACDelco is what i need, Autobarn, Supercheap, Burstons.... don't stock it anymore. Rang Holden to see if they can order some .....$60 per bottle from Holden, but only $75 on ebay for 2 x bottles (which is what is needed) So ordered some from Mace on eBay $75.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Broke down on back road heading back to Town. No mob phone range for 20km. Only two cars went past. One stopped by it was much of young girls, I said them to keep going. Other car, 4WD, 10min later didn't even stop. Unwritten rule on that road is you stop if someone is pulled over, especially when you see a bonnet up.
Thank God it was just a dead DFI and thankfully I had just bought a SH one a week or so ago. Glad I had 1/4 long socket rail in the ute box and a DFI in the seat cover pocket, along with a tub of heatsink paste in the toolbox.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Broke down on back road heading back to Town. No mob phone range for 20km. Only two cars went past. One stopped by it was much of young girls, I said them to keep going. Other car, 4WD, 10min later didn't even stop. Unwritten rule on that road is you stop if someone is pulled over, especially when you see a bonnet up.
Thank God it was just a dead DFI and thankfully I had just bought a SH one a week or so ago. Glad I had 1/4 long socket rail in the ute box and a DFI in the seat cover pocket, along with a tub of heatsink paste in the toolbox.
Now replace the spare dfi with another one.
You probably wont need it, for a couple of years ( more or less), doesn't matter when, it will be sitting there for when you do. Just like the one you used to get you mobile again. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wife wants me to buy brand new DFI. I just hate that in two or so years they have doubled in price.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wife wants me to buy brand new DFI. I just hate that in two or so years they have doubled in price.

Conversation should go along these lines

You: Honey, do you love me.

Wife...Of course I do..

You...These DFI's have doubled in price, so how about helping me purchase a brand new one

I have no idea what her response will be, but hopefully it will be favourable to your wallet ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wife offered to pay for a new one, trouble is that's 150 bucks less deposit when we go for a new loan in a month or so. Probably good idea to buy new but eBay is so hit and miss on parts, it could end up being a reject one.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wife offered to pay for a new one, trouble is that's 150 bucks less deposit when we go for a new loan in a month or so. Probably good idea to buy new but eBay is so hit and miss on parts, it could end up being a reject one.

Aren't they available through an auto parts store? If so, they might cost a little more, but at least you can take it back

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I can't believe how often you people kill dfi modules. I've had 2 die in all my years driving V6 Commodores (from the early 2000's), one was the OEM unit on my VN and was probably 15 yo when it failed and similar on our old VS. I've replaced one on our VX, it still worked but I had a random odd miss at idle but definitely still worked and I would happily put it back on the car if needed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@immortality the issue I believe is that the aftermarket ones including Delphi are not the quality of the factory parts. They can still be bought from Holden, but at around $400 or more that's a lot of coin on one part for an old jalopy.