Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Looks like my TPS is playing up. Went to overtake and it didn't kickdown and rev out, like it should. Then once I got past it stayed in third and wouldn't go into OD. Switched the engine off and grabbed some SH parts on my way home and it's going into 4th now.
Hopefully it lasts a bit longer as I don't have time to mess with it today.
Geez that must be getting a real test of your patience by now mate

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Geez that must be getting a real test of your patience by now mate

It was a SH cheapy. have an AD Delco unit to fit. I just hope I get a few more weeks out of this one.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Have you actually test range is within spec with multimeter?

Could be just need to elongate bolt holes to adjust it then lock it down where it needs to be if factory spot not working out.

Could be wear on throttle body,the blade or or usually something simple throwing it all out of whack.

Got to be reason for it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd agree, a new sensor should not be fucked in a couple of weeks, not even a cheapy chinese made piece of junk. I too think there must be another reason causing these failures.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you actually test range is within spec with multimeter?

Could be just need to elongate bolt holes to adjust it then lock it down where it needs to be if factory spot not working out.

Could be wear on throttle body,the blade or or usually something simple throwing it all out of whack.

Got to be reason for it.
I'd agree, a new sensor should not be fucked in a couple of weeks, not even a cheapy chinese made piece of junk. I too think there must be another reason causing these failures.

Sensor is SH one that came off a TB, which was lying on the ground for over six months. It's ok at the moment it got me home and will hopefully be ok for a bit. I want to try and get some of the plugs on the wiring harness replaced, but I need to see if I have spare money once the shed is paid for before I can book it in. I'm pretty sure it's just the sensor that is the issue. It revs out a little before changing up, which was the same thing that happened years ago when I first needed a new one. The other two that failed pretty much straight away were Chinese Delphi from Repco. The AC Delco one waiting to go on will last a long-time I suspect. If it plays up after that one goes on I will start looking elsewhere.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
What I did today: made a mickey-mouse air dam below the radiator. Those things get busted, and I couldn't find any intact at the wreckers.
So I got a 75x50 mm plastic angle moulding, cut it roughly 80 cm long. There are holes under the radiator support, so you can fix it with gyprock toggles. However, they come with 50 mm screws, which are too long. Need to get some 30 mm long, so extra dicking around. See how long it lasts....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I've used old factory sensors etc that have come off wrecks in backyards or engines under tarps for years that still work...never gone through as many sensors as you have on that ute in 20 plus years tinkering on efi holdens.

Even when got vp ute as v6 swapped out all fake crap with parts buried in dirt of makeshift shed for 10 years...mind you just wanted to see if it would run better on crappy old junk lol.

Issues keep returning so something not kosher.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Issues keep returning so something not kosher.
Last two problem sensors were the sensor themselves, as instantly ok with SH eBay TPS. If it isn't the sensor itself I have no hope of finding the problem. Wiring will be repaired but if anything else causing the issue I doubt I will ever figure it out.
Delphi sensors are mostly junk since they are all made in China now.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Check range with mulitimeter at wot & idle...if out of spec elongate holes of tps.

Adjust it to stay within spec range otherwise just keep repeating issue already have.

We're saying delve further into what it actually turns it could be out of alignment or worn.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check range with mulitimeter at wot & idle...if out of spec elongate holes of tps.

Adjust it to stay within spec range otherwise just keep repeating issue already have.

We're saying delve further into what it actually turns it could be out of alignment or worn.
How do you check with MM, since I assume TPS needs to be connected to TB?
Having had multiple issues with all types of Delphi sensors, I put it down to Chinese Delphi junk. Had no issues with Delphi Mexico sensors, unfortunately they can not be bought anymore.