Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah well it rained earlier that day but the road had pretty much dried out. I was going slower than I usually go too. I seriously think that the way it happened without any pre warning the road must have had something on it, other than water.

MrVR263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore ute
Yeah well it rained earlier that day but the road had pretty much dried out. I was going slower than I usually go too. I seriously think that the way it happened without any pre warning the road must have had something on it, other than water.
You can't control all your horse power under the bonnet now losh1971. Should have kept it standard lol. Remember add 1000hp to the engine in the wet hahaha.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They're fairly simple to fix & assuming it's just front open rail section wouldn't be too worried about the damage.

My vp sloot has some history...reckon it's been stolen & tapped a few times early first half of it's life then later on just plain neglected untill I got it otherwise would have ended up at wrecker/crushers.

Then I put v8 in it....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Just out of curiosity...You replaced the tyres on the old bus recently....Have you driven this road in the wet before this happened, with the new tyres fitted? I looked at the pattern I suggested to you today, and it doesn't look like it would be to nice with water dispersion if there was a bit of water on the road....

I haven't had any feedback from anyone with the pattern I suggested to you, hence me asking the question

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just out of curiosity...You replaced the tyres on the old bus recently....Have you driven this road in the wet before this happened, with the new tyres fitted? I looked at the pattern I suggested to you today, and it doesn't look like it would be to nice with water dispersion if there was a bit of water on the road....

I haven't had any feedback from anyone with the pattern I suggested to you, hence me asking the question

It was pouring rain on the way down and no scary moments. Road had pretty much dried out on my return journey. I'd like to try some different tyres when the rears wear out. I've wondered myself if KU22s are a bad choice on wet roads. Having said that I have been running them for over two years, in heavy rain and sitting on or just under the limit and never had one let go. I had Achilies Sports on there when I bought the ute, they let go once but I caught it in time, as it was only a tiny slide around a corner. I'd never buy them again. I do think there has to be more grippy tyres than the Kumho's though. I am seriously considering an upgrade next tyre change. I just have no idea what to buy though. The fronts are not KU22s as they are now obsolete. The fronts are the one up from a 22.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@vc commodore what tyres would you recommend? I looked online and PA51s like I have on the front are $135ea, then Dunlop LM 703 are probably around $200ea, but look to be a superior tread pattern, but will no doubt wear quicker. Yoko's would be nice but they start at $211ea and will wear down pretty quick. I might get a quote on LM 703s. I know they were pretty pricey when I was quoted last time, I think over $200ea IIRC.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@vc commodore what tyres would you recommend? I looked online and PA51s like I have on the front are $135ea, then Dunlop LM 703 are probably around $200ea, but look to be a superior tread pattern, but will no doubt wear quicker. Yoko's would be nice but they start at $211ea and will wear down pretty quick. I might get a quote on LM 703s. I know they were pretty pricey when I was quoted last time, I think over $200ea IIRC.

I'm running ku22's at the moment on my VC and the VY....I'm on my 2nd set for the VC and so far I've had no issues wet or dry....The VY I have is a wagon so it is light in the bum, but not as light as your ute...The 22's came off my VC, so they have done some kays and to date, no probs with grip....Over all, it's been about 5 or 6 years I've been running them

Dunlops....I was dealing with them every day for 8 years, 10 years ago....They were over priced pieces of crap then and gotten worse since then...Their nickname were banglops....Reason behind that was, they made a banging sound when being driven on.....

1616762800914.png

And just for a reference I did run the LM 702's when I first built this VC.....There were noisy from the get go...Was glad to throw them into the scrap pile

1 tyre I am planning on trying is Marshalls on the VY....They come in a 225/55X16, not the 225/50X16.....The pattern looks brilliant for all conditions.....Doesn't get noisy.....They are actually a Z speed rating too....I haven't checked right into the price, but I do know they are a little more expensive than the Kumho, but cheaper than the Toyos....

Judging by the rears on the VY, it should be real soon I grab them to test out.....So worth considering

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
When door latches change their characteristics then that's a very good indication of chassis twist. I guarantee that this will not be perfected back to factory as most repairers will just simply adjust the door striker so as to give the owner the false illusion that it's all good.

Wheel alignment afterwards will certainly show any faults and even that can be manipulated to a point where it hides the sins left behind by slack repairers.

Personally I feel if it didn't have 7.5K on the policy then it would be a write off with just a scraped front guard by today's standards.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm hoping it's not written off. I don't know if the damage is $6k, which will be point they write it off. Trouble is these days a respray is $9k, just a bonnet respray is $500. So with damage I have I think now by looking underneath I'm at least $4k.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Father in law had a squiz yesterday and pointed out chassis rail on drivers side has a small amount of backwards folding. He reckons they will just pull it out with chains but whether they will do that on a $7k car I have no idea? It has affected the castor but it still handles ok as long as I don't go silly and start pushing it.
I also noticed the gaps on the left guard have closed up quite a bit, whereas I had them looking pretty close both sides. I'm still waiting for the quote to know if I will ever have the ute on the road again. I thought I might have had it by now but no.