Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
drove the VS ute to shops yesterday arvo. At the lights I got a grin and the nod from a kid at the pedestrian crossing who would have been 13-15yrs old. This thing is well older than he was, and yet it brings the joy :)
Its just a little cammed 5L, but has that nice idle at the lights. I love watching peoples faces when they hear & see it. So many nods & thumbs up.

I have been driving the Ranger too long I think. Think I might even miss the ute when it goes later this month..... :(

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
drove the VS ute to shops yesterday arvo. At the lights I got a grin and the nod from a kid at the pedestrian crossing who would have been 13-15yrs old. This thing is well older than he was, and yet it brings the joy :)
Its just a little cammed 5L, but has that nice idle at the lights. I love watching peoples faces when they hear & see it. So many nods & thumbs up.
I get the same when I drive mine, which has been once in almost 5 months.

I'm getting too complacent with modern comfort cars like the VE & Sorento, need to get it out more.

Who cares if Fuel is $2.50 per litre for it, the smiles are worth it and it's pretty good at turning fuel into noise.

Nothing feels quite as good as sitting there lumping away at the lights thinking.....that just cost me $10 and not caring :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Nothing feels quite as good as sitting there lumping away at the lights thinking.....that just cost me $10 and not caring :p
You could always get an EV with a good audio system, a sound track of old school v8 and a thumper to go under your seat. A bit of home theatre on wheels. That way you get great mpg and the feeling you love through the seat of your pants when you’re at the lights :p:p:p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You could always get an EV with a good audio system, a sound track of old school v8 and a thumper to go under your seat. A bit of home theatre on wheels. That way you get great mpg and the feeling you love through the seat of your pants when you’re at the lights :p:p:p

Like the Chevy E-10 which "has a three-speaker sound emulator that mimics the two banks of a V8 engine in the back, and induction in the front. It automatically adjusts to gear changes, and can even emulate different engines that include a generic V8 as well as two versions of the LS7 Z28 (tuned for touring and the track). You can also choose a "futuristic" sound or plain silence if you're more comfortable with electric power."

I assume the "futuristic" sound is George Jetson-esque.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I get the same when I drive mine, which has been once in almost 5 months.

I'm getting too complacent with modern comfort cars like the VE & Sorento, need to get it out more.

Who cares if Fuel is $2.50 per litre for it, the smiles are worth it and it's pretty good at turning fuel into noise.

I have had that a few times in Black Thunder. Someone last week was giving me a flat hand up and down wave while I was loping over at the lights near work.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Thanks to this site for putting me on the right track. I had a bit of trouble starting the ute when hot. Not to bad but definitely not how it had been. I started yesterday fitting a coolant temp sensor and finished it today. Can't say it would be a job that I would want to do all that often. I stiil have to take it for a run but that's for tomorrow.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I took the ute for a run today, came home and it restarted straight away. I wish everything could be that cheap. Total cost with sensor and a bottle of anti freeze was under $40

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
Not today, but yesterday I took it round the block (it's a decent run, a few km) to top up the front tyres with air and have a last drive because...

I sold it yesterday to a fellow who loves VR-VS Commodores, and my ute was exactly what he was looking for.

I never really 'loved' it, other than being a reliable set of wheels which causes it's own kind of affection. My wife did love it a lot more than myself as it was a nice, smallish car that just worked. And it was always 'out' (of the garage) and ready to go, although she only did shopping trips in it. Still a little misty eyed because it was a good car, but it's going to a good home and while it might not be restored to it's full glory, it's going to have a good life with it's new owner.

Just washed;

PXL_20220617_040750228.jpg
InkedPXL_20220618_011904867_LI.jpg

And heading off to it's new life.

I bought it to get to work in October 2020, middle of lockdown off Gumtree and it got delivered to work on a flatbed truck, ready to go. It had problems, but nothing too difficult. Replaced the cooling system except the radiator, heater core and overflow tank (including those heater connections from the engine to the hoses, hard to get!), replaced the rotors, discs and fluid. Changed the inlet gaskets for MACE ally ones. New starter and wiring. New radio! Rehashed the power window switches so they'll last and work. New coils and ignition module. A lot of work you couldn't justify paying someone to do, but needed doing.

And then, I changed jobs. New job came with a work van, so the ute sat around waiting for someone to take it out, which my wife did regularly. Of the only 4000km put on her over the past 2 years, she's responsible for most of them.

Good bye blue ute. I hope you take good care of your new owner.

(No, my eyes are not leaking. It's dust.)

Stu.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes we can get a little attached to our toys… even though we say we don’t :p

(she looks nice by the way)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Not today, but yesterday I took it round the block (it's a decent run, a few km) to top up the front tyres with air and have a last drive because...

I sold it yesterday to a fellow who loves VR-VS Commodores, and my ute was exactly what he was looking for.

I never really 'loved' it, other than being a reliable set of wheels which causes it's own kind of affection. My wife did love it a lot more than myself as it was a nice, smallish car that just worked. And it was always 'out' (of the garage) and ready to go, although she only did shopping trips in it. Still a little misty eyed because it was a good car, but it's going to a good home and while it might not be restored to it's full glory, it's going to have a good life with it's new owner.

Just washed;

View attachment 238948View attachment 238949

And heading off to it's new life.

I bought it to get to work in October 2020, middle of lockdown off Gumtree and it got delivered to work on a flatbed truck, ready to go. It had problems, but nothing too difficult. Replaced the cooling system except the radiator, heater core and overflow tank (including those heater connections from the engine to the hoses, hard to get!), replaced the rotors, discs and fluid. Changed the inlet gaskets for MACE ally ones. New starter and wiring. New radio! Rehashed the power window switches so they'll last and work. New coils and ignition module. A lot of work you couldn't justify paying someone to do, but needed doing.

And then, I changed jobs. New job came with a work van, so the ute sat around waiting for someone to take it out, which my wife did regularly. Of the only 4000km put on her over the past 2 years, she's responsible for most of them.

Good bye blue ute. I hope you take good care of your new owner.

Stu.

Looks pretty dam smick !! I know a couple of colours are similar but guessing Botanica Mica = same as my Maloo !!
The 2nd owner of my Maloo ( I'm the 3rd ).
Was a Chef, used to get supplies for the restaurant in ,( he loved his BMWs= had 2 )
So the Maloo while living outside did about 40k kms in about 14/15 years.