Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah it wasn't so much spinning the wheels and sliding that worried me. What scared me was being in the close proximity to other vehicles and potentially hitting one or more of them. But need to think if boost is really needed on DD? Especially when it goes pretty well now and with new heads will go even better.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Some oppo lock & arm out window like Chris Christou all be sweet again in the world.

1596331544803.jpeg

Sticky tyres as in expensive high quality rears + adjustable rear upper control arms that n/a v6 will find it hard to spin tyres on a good surface.

Any old car with a decent amount of torque can get you into trouble especially on a corner/turn.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Any old car with a decent amount of torque can get you into trouble especially on a corner/turn.

I'm finding out lately how well this little 3.8 can actually go. I rarely floor it but the few times I have it's lit up the wheels. Rebuilding the LSD diff and fitting 3.45s have certainly made it pull pretty decent. Diff builder said to watch out if I floor it while turning, as I could end up doing a 180. I thought yeah right....., it's not a V8, auto V6 will have no hope. People on here have alluded to V6 being a slug, I tell you what with a few basic mods and decent tune they go pretty well, even with an auto.
On another note I priced up a TC kit and Stage 1 is $3k plus fitting. It would be good but that's a big outlay on a V6 auto ute, especially with what the ute already owes me. Still cheaper than SC kit and power gains would be a fair bit more and probably wouldn't suck as much fuel as SC'ing would.
In saying that eventually a bloke needs to decide at what point you're happy with with the power you have? I see a few blokes on here camming a 6L and then wanting to go SC on top of that. Chasing HP seems to be quite addictive if you let it lol.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Youll potentially find depending on the set up fuel usage may actually be less for cruising unless you sink the boot in every time.
I say this as one of my vehicles will do about 7-8L/100 when cruising along on the freeway. Might not seem overly impressive until you realise it is a Cammed 6L with a 2.9L Whipple on top of that, with stupid power and torque that is honestly scary to drive to its full potential.
Would say that youll be happy either way you go, just dont rush into it, do the research. Best tip is to gradually increase power if possible as too big a jump can catch you out easily or just be very respectful until you get to know it better.
Whichever way you go about it I think youll be happy, but remember the ute is light and has very little weight in the rear which makes it easier to do something stupid.

As for my VS, nothing much, its currently being used by the old man as now have a work vehicle.
Still hoping to one day see it tick over the 500 mark (473 now)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would have thought that since an SC uses some engine power to drive it that economy would come down. I also thought that TC should give power without sucking much from the engine as it's driven off the exhaust? That is awesome economy from a V8, my Buick only gets 11lph. You probably have the six speed, yeah? That would make a difference I'd think.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Got ute running...no fault codes,went over it 2-3 times with testlight everything checks out yet still wouldn't start.

No spark started think hall effect sensor but rather pull engine out to change that with extractors(pacies),3k stally & other things.

Slapped it all back together one last time after taking leads & cap apart...turn key it stuttered to life again WTF.

Warmed it up to smell evaporating cat pee off hot exhaust...took for drive,never stalled or turned off....not sure if some electrical issue or feral cat disrecpecting the ute.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I would have thought that since an SC uses some engine power to drive it that economy would come down. I also thought that TC should give power without sucking much from the engine as it's driven off the exhaust? That is awesome economy from a V8, my Buick only gets 11lph. You probably have the six speed, yeah? That would make a difference I'd think.
Yeah, 6 speed manual.
It does use engine power, but the charger and the engine are barely working at those revs, I'd have to find the sheet, but its something like 500nm at 1600rpm at the wheels (sheet shows about 600nm at 1800rpm), thus the no effort to cruise along. The standard SS with the 6.0 and manual sits around the 10l/100 mark for comparison.
When driven normally the S/C 6L is more like 14-16L/100 though, because the whine and exhaust is too nice not to make the neighbourhood hear it.
Like everything, there will be losses somewhere, to get the turbo effective its when its actually spinning and creating boost pressure otherwise it is something else in the way as such.

Just size it all right and youll do well. I think the power will be enough for your enjoyment, although the more you drive it, the more you get familiar with it and the less you notice its potent.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

The Toyota superchargers have a clutch pulley attached, similar to an aircon pulley, which means in effect you can have it running or not....So the motor might use a little more fuel, without the supercharger pulley engaged, or it may not (Never checked into it)....

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Started replaces the filament bulbs with LEDs for the neo wedges. Well see when the rain stops I'll pop em in

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

All modern PD style superchargers have a bypass valve built in, when just cruising the parasitic loss from driving the supercharger is fairly minimal.

On the missus car, if you take the supercharger belt off and give the engine a bit of a rev the supercharger spins from the vacuum. I tried holding the pulley once and I couldn't stop it turning.