Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I bought some from the US. Mostly I just use cap screws but I wanted some nice carb studs with the dome top on the studs to make fitting and removal easier. These are ARP 300 which are a stainless stud, ARP is to rich for me mostly, kinda like AN fittings, the look good but way to bloody expensive...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd like some shiny rocker cover bolts to match the polished covers you sent my way. I really want to do it at the same time the heads go on so I don't have to use the old seals while I wait to find new bolts. It may work out cheaper to chrome the heads on my spare bolts.
And yeah I know, probably just polishing a turd, but I'm ok with that....

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I'd like some shiny rocker cover bolts to match the polished covers you sent my way. I really want to do it at the same time the heads go on so I don't have to use the old seals while I wait to find new bolts. It may work out cheaper to chrome the heads on my spare bolts.
And yeah I know, probably just polishing a turd, but I'm ok with that....
Won't be long the way you're going you will have a brand new turd.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Went to start the VS SS on Monday - no fire in the belly of the beast!

It happened once before, but swapping around the relays brought it back to life.

Having a read about it, the general consensus is that if there are misfiring issues or other issues prior to it failing then it is something with the ignition module or sensor in the dizzy. Out of the blue failures are the coil.

I have a spare coil and dizzy from another engine so will try that tomorrow and see what happens. If the spare coil works, then the next plan will be to move it away from the back of the engine and onto the firewall

Bill mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore,95. Acclaim,3.8.
Put innew boot struts as the boot keeps coming down after having a spoiler put on it. Also sealed where water was getting into the boot. Next week I'm having the clear coat removed,sanded down, primed for preparation to top coat on my bonnet.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Put innew boot struts as the boot keeps coming down after having a spoiler put on it. Also sealed where water was getting into the boot. Next week I'm having the clear coat removed,sanded down, primed for preparation to top coat on my bonnet.

remember to take some pic and show us

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Went to start the VS SS on Monday - no fire in the belly of the beast!

It happened once before, but swapping around the relays brought it back to life.

Having a read about it, the general consensus is that if there are misfiring issues or other issues prior to it failing then it is something with the ignition module or sensor in the dizzy. Out of the blue failures are the coil.

I have a spare coil and dizzy from another engine so will try that tomorrow and see what happens. If the spare coil works, then the next plan will be to move it away from the back of the engine and onto the firewall

Swapped over the coil (what an awkward job that is!) and the beast still didn't fire into life - although it appeared to spark once then stop.

Figured it was to do with either the distributor or the ignition module, but after playing with the cable into the module, it started up good as gold.

I suspect there is a loose wire/connection in there or even a dodgy earthing to the body (one of the bolts was a bit loose).

Going to pull the plug apart and check it out, then run an earth strap to the body, and then also move the coil to anywhere but behind the damn engine!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
but after playing with the cable into the module, it started up good as gold.

I suspect there is a loose wire/connection in there or even a dodgy earthing to the body (one of the bolts was a bit loose).

I had a similar issue with mine. Would start if the plug was wiggled into just the right position.

Was diagnosed as likely isses with the internal solder deteriorating.

New module (exchange) from Repco and problem was solved.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Paid another years rego for it.
Another 5 years and it can go on club reg.
Went from being the daily averaging nearly 30k kms a year for work to now being something the old man drives once a week while its parked up at their place. One day will get around to making it into another fun impractical weekend toy.