Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The real bonus is that I didn't get lost.

Used to do that trip quite regularly, but haven't done that now for over 2 years. At the rate that Qld Roads dig up the M1 and Logan Freeway, I am sure to get lost somewhere, and end up Rockhampton instead of Toowoomba in July after COVID becomes last years news ........... hopefully.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
Haven't found a thread on what people have done on their VR/VS' in the last day or two. Hoping it's ok to start a thread so we can hear what VR/VS owners have been doing on their rigs.
Mods if this thread is elsewhere please let me know and feel free to delete this one.
Stripped the top of my struts trying to get them undone.Then had to drill the side out of the nuts and use a cold chisel to get them undone,one side anyway.Now it’s off to the nut and bolt shop tomorrow to see if I can get a new one and try and file some sort of shape back into the top so I can hold it to do it back up again.As they say”A five minute job is only one stripped bolt away from becoming a 2 day job or 3 in my case

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I as I have previously mentioned bought 4 vz s wheels today for my ute. Tomorrow I will be looking for a spare that is the same. At the moment I have what I believe to be the original spare under the Ute. Does anyone know if a 17" rim would fit in it's place?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had the tyres changed over, the wheels look good after I tidied them up. Got a spare from a wrecker in Ipswich and tidied that up as well. The tread is good enough for a spare.

Next step not having done it for a long time I looked into lowering the spare. It's just as well I didn't ever have a puncture as I didn't have a crank handle. I seem to recall that I have lowered one before without a crank handle but I seem to recall it being a pain.

I rang up a local wrecker and they didn't have one but the wrecker at Beenleigh did, they wanted $80. I nearly had a heart attack so I looked on the internet and they were all around the same price. Just by more good luck than anything else I came across a wrecker here In Ipswich. He wants $20 so that is on my to do list tomorrow.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Picked up my crank handle this morning and lowered the spare wheel. The wheel winch wire was frayed so I picked up one from the wrecker I deal a bit with, $35. I could have picked up the same thing in not such good condition for $175 on the internet. Might be a wee bit of greed there.. Even though the wheel winch came off a vs the tongue that goes through the wheel was wider and wouldn't go through the wheel. The original one did. Don't know why but nothing that a bit of grinding didn't fix

Sold my old rims for $45 and got nothing for the original spare with worn tyre at the scrap metal dealer. Quite happy with that. Don't really want anyone coming around to my place.

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute V8 manual & Vl walkinshaw
New areoflow alternator arrived today along with my twin thermo fans ready to install on the weekend...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be interested to hear your opinion on the areoflow alt. Most eBay alts tend to have a fairly poor rep. I've looked at them as they come in chrome. I have heard where they struggle is on idle as they don't have enough amps at 600-700 revs.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I stuck the rear trolley strip back on this eve. Have stuck it back on three times now. Hoping that the wider tape from tonight hangs on a bit better. One thing I did find that might help others is meths is the best solvent to get the old tape off. I tried GP thinners but it did little. Then sort of by accident I discovered meths works really well. I didn't want to damage the paint so only used meths on the paint and it cleaned it up great, much to my surprise. I then used it on the moulding as well.

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute V8 manual & Vl walkinshaw
Be interested to hear your opinion on the areoflow alt. Most eBay alts tend to have a fairly poor rep. I've looked at them as they come in chrome. I have heard where they struggle is on idle as they don't have enough amps at 600-700 revs.
In that case mine should be ok . My idle is a little (lot) higher than that . Will let you know !!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6